Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Down to 2 Estimates...

Posted by tomdx (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 0:42

I need to replace a 24 year Rheem system in a 1300 sqf, 2 story Townhouse that I rent out.

I'm down to the following estimates....

TRANE ($5,900)
XL80 2-Stage (TUD2B060A9362A)
XB13 2.5 ton Condenser (4TTB3030E1000A)
XB series Coil (4FXCB036AC3CAA)
2-Stage Themostat
10 year parts/Life time Heat Exchanger/1 year labor

Lennox ($6,100)
SL280V (70,000 BTU) (single stage non-vs is about $300 cheaper)
14 ACX, 2.5 Ton 14 Seer
Coil (I was just told it would be matching)
Honeywell FOCUS Pro 6000
5 inch Media filter
10 year parts/20 year Heat Exchanger/5 year labor
Option to extend the Labor to 10 years for $400

My current furnace is 75k and A/C is 2.5 ton... no idea on the SEER

Lennox Rep told me that the 70k furnace was the correct choice because the next lowest is to low for my townhouse.

The Lennox A/C is 14 SEER (Up from the Trane's 13 SEER) because that qualifies for a Utility Co rebate, which makes the 14 SEER cheaper than the 13 SEER... which is fine by me as long as there are no drawbacks. I do have a concern that the A/C is rated at 76db... seems loud to me.

The Lennox Thermostat quoted is a single stage, but I know enough now that I would request a 2-stage if I chose the above furnace.

The Lennox Contractor is used by Costco for installs, been in Business 50 years, is rated A+ by BBB, and has excellent reviews on Angie's List.

The Trane Contractor is used by Home Depot for installs, been in Business 30 years, is rated A+ by BBB, and has excellent reviews on Angie's List. My concern here is that originally they also quoted me a Rheems system. When I told them that's the one I wanted, they came back and said the furnace was discontinued... I called Rheem to inquire, and they said it is currently in production with no intention to stop. Could be an honest mistake, but it does raise a credibility concern for me.

I have to make a decision by tomorrow so that the install can be done next week. I'd really appreciate any comments on Trane vs Lennox, this specific Lennox configuration, and on Lennox in general... I'm really confused.

Thanks

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Down to 2 Estimates...

I believe the XB13 is a builder grade (low end) condenser. You should get a quote on a better model. You need to get the model number of the coil otherwise you may get a third party coil. Insist on the manufacturer's coil.

For some reason Lennox gets negative comments on this forum. I have no experience with Lennox so I can't comment.

o
RE: Down to 2 Estimates...

The XB series is much better than the Lennox ACX series.

On the Trane, I would prefer the XR13, on the Lennox, the XC13 model.

TD

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here