Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outside A/C fans runs all the time....very very slowly

Posted by CaBrit58 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 3, 11 at 23:29

Hi Guys,

Got a strange problem with the outside (American Standard) A/C unit. The fan was turning very very slowly all the time and humings. When I turned on the A/C the fans spins up but only to about half speed, and after about 5 minutes the whole unit makes a very loud buzzing sound.

So I replaced the main relay/contactor as the old one appeared to be sticking, and now the fan now hums as if it's trying to turn. It also still never gets up to full speed when the A/C come on. I replaced the motor 3 years ago along with the motor capacitor so I suppose one of them could have gone bad again, any suggestions?

Also, I am confused as to why the fan be trying to turn when the contactor is not energized.

Thanks for any help.

Neil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outside A/C fans runs all the time....very very slowly

Ok...did some more digging and I now know why the fan was trying to turn, hat case had become live and so it was acting as a neutral. I have never seen this before, is this common? All three wires have a resistance of 40ohms to the case, so what could cause that problem.

Thanks,

Neil

o
RE: Outside A/C fans runs all the time....very very slowly

"now the fan now hums as if it's trying to turn"

Classic sign of a failed start capacitor.

It may have failed and energized the case of the unit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here