Can an Oversize Furnace Be Reduced?

Neil_K
10 years ago

I Just got a new Trane Furnace.
They Installed a:
TUD2B080ACV (42 / 64K BTU)
The Work Order was for a:
TUD2B060ACE (31 / 48K BTU)
I have an 800 square foot condo with 1 exterior wall in downstate NY.
I am assuming the installed unit is way to big. They say no and if it bothers me they can reduce the BTUs on the larger furnace to what the smaller one is. The Bigger furnace has 4 burners the smaller on 3 burners.

Is this possible? Is is a Good Idea? Any downside?

Comments (16)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

First it appears you have Trane's XL80 furnace or XV80. This should be verified. And yes, you have been grossly oversized. As you know this is a two stage furnace and for best operation would require a two stage thermostat. Bet the dealer did not install the correct thermostat.

You can not reduce the BTUs on a furnace. You can disengage the high stage from operation.

I wouldn't accept this situation and would be on the phone to the dealer/owner first thing Monday morning.

The wrong furnace will cost you both in monthly operational costs plus your comfort.

IMO

• Neil_K
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is an XC80
    The thermostat is a Honeywell pro 4000.
    How do you tell if a thermostat is 2 stage?

I assume the smaller one is also oversized (even though that is the smallest size) the Internet say 30-40k btus.
    I Thanks for the info. I will get back to them but I have low hopes. I do not think they want to eat a furnace.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Below is a link to an installation manual. Is this the thermostat you have? It is not a 2-stage thermostat.

If your contract listed the model number and size of the furnace, then that is what you should get. If the contractor swapped it either by mistake or intentionally then he should bear the cost.

Do not let anyone modify your furnace. It is dangerous and will void the warranty. If you keep this furnace your best option is to wire it so that it only operates in the low stage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeywell Pro 4110 Installation manual

• Neil_K
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can see on the box it is a one stage thermostat.
    My guess is it is his plan is to disable the high stage.

The mistake looks like a comedy of errors. Trane mis labeled the box the furnace came in. The the installer decided to give be a "better" one rather than cancel the installation in the middle. I am not sure if they really thought it was better or they just did not want to lose the money coming back for the installation again.

I will need to look at the thermostat. I will have to see if I have the right wiring for two stages. Do they set the furnace to some kind of time thing with the one stage thermostat?

Thanks again for the info.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

The furnace is probably set up to stage on a timer located on the control board. Typically the furnace will start in the low stage and move up to the high stage after a set number of minutes.

If you are not going to use the high stage then you don't need any additional wiring.

I find the Trane box mis-labeling story a little hard to believe. I suspect there is more to this furnace switch than you have been told.

• Neil_K
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That part is true I watched it. I asked how they where going to connect an xc95 to my metal chimney. Then there was much phone calls, reading of labels and boxes, and scratching of heads. I Assume they did not stock the smaller unit. It is mostly single family houses here. The bigger unit must cost more since it has 1 more burner.
    Hey look this one will fit. And bigger is better.
    Win win.

It looks like the 2 phase thermostat needs 6 wires I think I only have 5
    So I would need to run new wire. Or get the trane communicating thermostat. Right?

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Your furnace will operate 90%+ of the time in the low stage. Your duct work may be too small to handle a 64K BTU furnace. Why do you want to go to the trouble of running of extra wires?

I am not sure your model supports the communication thermostat.

I though you have an XC80. Now you say it is an XC95.

I would have no confidence in a HVAC contractor who needs to make phone calls and read manuals during an installation. We are in the middle of the summer. The installation should have stopped the moment it was determined the furnace was incorrect. The next size furnace is about $200 more so don't think you got a great deal. You have a furnace which will be noisy and run inefficiently due to short cycling.

It it were my condo I would ask the contractor to install the correct furnace.

• Neil_K
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No Trane put an xc95 in a box marked for an xc80.
    They did not charge me for the bigger unit. (Note it has the same fan for both)

But question answered. He can not reduce it.
    I know they can play with the jets on oil furnaces so I wanted to check before pushing back.
    I hear you. Get the right on or pay the price.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

My bad on the identification of the XC80 furnace.

The fact is though this dealer is looking out more for himself than the customer. The XC80 furnace selection is way overkill for an 800 sq condo pls it is not even sized correctly.

And then there is the issue of the wrong thermostat.

Homeowner needs a load calculation. I suspect around 25- 30 KBTU max. What is homeowner doing about AC? This was not made clear.

The 2 ton XT80 furnace would have been a better choice for the condo and would be much less expensive.

I wouldn't accept this install and ask them to remove it. At very best, install the size originally proposed and disengage the high stage.

If this is an authorized Trane dealer, he should be reported to the parent company.

Sorry for your trouble. You have a big mess on your hands.

IMO

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

OP,
    try this route:

If this is an authorized Trane dealer, he should be reported to the parent company.

best of luck. and fyi bigger is not better.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

The contractor is blaming Trane for putting the wrong furnace in the shipping carton. Either the contractor or the distributor is playing games.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

All this wrong box business is pure nonsense.

This story by the OP casts good dealers in a terrible light.

IMO

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Surely you can post the complete model number of furnace that was installed. Should be on the furnace itself or inside control panel door. Maybe it's mislabeled. A high eff condensing furnace must be vented through an external wall or through the roof. All of this is bizarre. In my neck of the woods, there is a word for this mess. Can't use it on an open forum like this.

IMO

• Neil_K
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tigerdunes The Part Numbers are at the Top of the Post. The box story is true. The issue was they did not have a second one of my furnace. So they gave me the large one rather then reschedule. (I assume)
    The AC is 2Tons (same as the builder put in) I suspect I should have gone smaller ( Quote guys said that is what others in the development get), but I agreed to it and if it is wrong that's on me.
    XT, XK, XC Trane's web site does a poor job of explaining the difference. The compare function shows them the same.
    But yes He is a distributor ( The Only one in my area). It has only been a few days I need to give him a little time to make it right before I go all irate customer. I just want to make sure I am well informed. And yes I see I should have been better inform before.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS for XC80
    Every Trane furnace is packed with high-quality components. Each helps ensure that time after time, your unit will provide total comfort your family can rely on. The XC80 includes:

ComfortLink⢠II communicating capability
    Communicating user interface
    Variable-speed blower motor
    Two-stage gas heat
    Heavy gauge, two-tone powder-painted cabinet
    Increased dehumidification with Comfort-Râ¢
    Durable silicon nitride hot surface igniter
    Multi-port, in-shot burners
    One-piece aluminized steel heat exchanger with no welds
    24-volt fuse to protect controls
    Insulated cabinet for quiet operation
    Convertible to horizontal, left or right
    Compatible with ERV, humidifier and air cleaner
    XC80 variable-speed, 2-stage upflow/horizontal furnace models

Model Nominal Tons AFUE Height (in.) Width (in.) Depth (in.)
    TUD2B060ACV32A 3 80.00 40 17.5 28
    TUD2B080ACV32A 3 80.00 40 17.5 28

The fact is you are oversized on the 80 K model. Even if the 60K XC80 replaced the 80 K model, you would still be oversized, never needing the high stage.

My advice is to replace with the single stage XT80 32 KBTU furnace model.
    TUD1A040A9H21B 40 14.5 28 2.0 80

What model AC and evap coil did you have installed?

IMO

• Neil_K
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Coil is 4TXCB025
    The Condenser is 4TTR6024B1000
    2 Ton And Yes I should have gone smaller, But that is what I contracted for. I should have stopped here first.