Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carl883

New heat pump

carl883
12 years ago

I have a 19 yr old heat pump air cond works well , but as far as keeping the house warm does not work good. Should I get a new heat pump. Is it worth getting a new heat pump or wait until it blows up. Money is not a issue. But is the technology worth getting a new heat pump.

Comments (6)

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

carl

today's heat pumps are as different as nite and day compared to your early 90s model especially in heating mode.

what is your location?

since money is not an issue nor a breakdown situation, I would begin to lay the groudwork for a new system.

there are three equally important components-quality HVAC, the install by dealer, and probably the most overlooked and disregarded is the ductwork system.

these are my minimum specs for a new HP system. both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
    best matching VS air handler
    full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
    R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
    scroll compressor preferred
    electronic demand defrost preferred
    thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
    staged backup heat strips
    new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset
    10 yr warranty compressor and parts

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.
    any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

I would only use authorized dealers for the various brands that provide quotes. see mfg websites.

I would look at Trane/AmStd,Rheem/Rudd,Carrier/Bryant.

I would not purchase a new HP system that did not have electronic demand defrost.

IMO

• neohioheatpump
    12 years ago

Get a new system if your old unit is 19 years old.

Where are you located? What climate are you in?

I like highest efficiency single stage systems the best. I also like brands that have demand defrost.

Make sure your new system has an indoor coil with a txv valve. It will make your system more efficient.

A new system will dramatically lower your electric bill.

• carl883
    Original Author
    12 years ago

tiger dunes i Live in northern balto county !!

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Carl

I would definitely want a new HP system with electronic demand defrost. Most brands don't offer this feature. This feature eliminates/reduces unnecessary and costly defrost calls from the time/temp method.

There is a forum member named Maryland irisman who is a dealer in your area and one who I would recommend. Do a search and you can get his email address.

IMO
    Good Luck!

• maryland_irisman
    12 years ago

Tiger, thanks for the referral and confidence. Just a follow-up, Even though Carl is a considerable distance outside our service area, I'm helping him get hooked up with conscientious and reliable people and will continue to help him get the right equipment for his area.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Thx irisman

Wasn't certain if this was outside your service area. I am sure though you will get him hooked up with good dealers!

TD