Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hubandwif

Looking for T-stat that will changeover daily.

Hubandwif
12 years ago

I live in the NC mountains where for much of the year I need a little heat at night and air conditioning during the day. Does anyone know of a programmable thermostat that will automatically switch from heat to A/C and then back to heat in the same day? Some changeover thermostats apparently have a 5 degree "dead zone", which I don't understand. I need a thermostat that will switch from heat to A/C at 72 in the AM and back to heat at 68 in the PM. If the A/C doesn't cut on at 72, the heat buildup overwhelms the A/C and sometimes it can't catch up till 7:00PM

Thanks in Advance! John

Comments (6)

• countryboymo
    12 years ago

The visionpro series from Honeywell has an adjustable dead area in the settings and I think the lowest setting is 2 degrees and highest is 9. I highly recommend the visionpro IAQ with outdoor temp sensing because the control unit 'stat' only uses three wires to operate and the outside unit and furnace wires all connect at a separate unit which can be mounted right by the furnace.

Ebay is about the most inexpensive place to buy any of these stats. They will not be found at Lowes or HomeDepot.

• veesubotee
    12 years ago

I've never seen the VP IAQ at a big box store.

That being said, not being a PRO, I can't swear to it that the VP IAQ will allow you to PROGRAM a switchover from heat to cool.

In (extensive) reading, the auto mode allows the thermostat to decide when (time) to switch modes based on a changing ID temperature. As for the deadband, the stat needs some room to relax. If there were no deadband, can you imagine a stat 'chattering' between heat and cool to maintain +/- .5 degree temperature difference? Hence, a deadband.

Some stats will allow you to adjust the deadband.

V

• countryboymo
    12 years ago

I stated they would not be found at lowes or home depot. I also forgot to mention that the option to set a time switchover from heat to cool is probably not available as it would need to be changed as the seasons change which be annoying.

• Hubandwif
    Original Author
    12 years ago

where I can speak to a human as to the various capabilities, like adjustable dead band, etc? What's the best way to get that kind of information?

John

• countryboymo
    12 years ago

There might be some at home depot or the like that can switch between heat/cool and have an adjustable deadband.

If you have a heat pump the vision pro series I am speaking of also have the ability to lock out the heat pump if it gets super cold out or lock the gas/strips out when the temp outside is moderate. If you have a heat pump and with what you are describing the pro series with outdoor temp sensor could easily pay for itself in a few years or less.

I left a link to the honeywell site and there is a plethora of helpful information on YouTube that is more 'hands on' with the units.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeywell page to find what fits your needs

• Hubandwif
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Could you explain the advantage of the visionpro IAQ with outdoor temp sensing? What advantage does the outside temp provide, and what's the advantage of the 2 units?
    Also, a quick look at the Honeywell site didn't reveal which units have adjustable dead bands. Thanks! John