Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pgtr

Recommendation for Window AC - yet another unit has failed

pgtr
11 years ago

I bought a 10,000 BTU Amana unit back in the 90s. Worked great for about 12 years in my 400ish SF workshop even in triple digit summers - could cool the room down quickly too (well insulated, only 2 small windows). It finally died and I decided to simply replace it at the time.

Bought a Frigidaire 12,000 BTU which probably has a much higher SEER rating. Brought it home and was surprised how much smaller this unit was physically. Installing it turned out to be a PITA as I had to hoist it up and in from the outside - was NOT a slide-in unit. 2,000 more BTU and it never cooled as effectively, made more noise - didn't move as much air... Died in less than 2 years. Got a new unit under warranty. Again less than 2 years and it has failed. Am waiting to get this one back from the shop (warranty).

At this point I just as soon sell the 'repaired' unit (warranty is approaching the end) and find something that is both more effective and might stand a chance of lasting longer. For that matter maybe one that is generally considered more 'serviceable'.

10,000-15,000 BTU

Slide in chassis

120VAC

Thermostatic switch (nice to have but required)

SEER rating not important - maybe lower is in fact better

Any suggestions for brands to look at or avoid?

thanks!

Comment (1)