Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westervilleman

Sizing and Pricing in Westerville,OH

WestervilleMan
12 years ago

My A/C unit froze up last friday and had to get 2 lbs of freon put in...this is the second time in the last 2 years. Techs from 2 different companies recommend replacing the unit. The unit is 2 1/2 ton and 17 years old.

Got initial price quote from local company (Atlas Butler):

3 Ton 14.5 SEER Unit = $6395

Sale rep quoted 16 SEER with the variable speed furnace

Variable 2 Stage furnace 95% AFUE = $5795

Discount = $1500

Service refund = $298 (They installed the freon on Friday)

10% Discount = $1039

GRAND TOTAL = $9353

Including increasing the cold air return duct work at the unit - Sales Rep stated current duct work would only support a 3 ton unit

10Year parts and 7 year Labor

Yearly service included for normal check up

atlasbutler.com (Premium Furnace,

This price seems high compared to others posts in this forum?

My house is 2800 sq/ft with 29 windows (4 on north end and rest on east/west). Current unit is a trane xe80 furnace and a trane xe 1000 2 1/2 ton AC with a 8-10 degree difference between main level and upstairs. I have approximately 22 floor vents.

I would like advice on what brands are good quality, if anyone has dealt with dealers in Columbus, OH area, and what a cost range would be acceptable? I am getting a second quote next week but have no idea what is a good price for my home. I will update this post when the 2nd quote is received.

Comments (13)

• mike_home
    12 years ago

Does Atlas Butler use Goodman equipment? Is so, do you have the Goodman model numbers? What size is the furnace? Are you geeting a new thermostat? Are the linesets being replaced?

I agree the price seems high assuming the duct work modifications are not extensive.

The better quatlity brands are Carrier/Bryant, Trane/American Standard, Rheem/Rudd, and Lennox. However people have had reliable service with other brands, so you can't solely go by brand name. I don't feel comfortable with a private label unless the contractor tells you the manufacturer and model numbers.

• neohioheatpump
    12 years ago

very pricey in my opinion. I"m north of you in the Cleveland area. You can get that system with a big name brand for the 5 to 6 grand range.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Westerville

Really can't comment on pricing or quality of system without knowing full details of quote-brand, mdl number of furnace, condenser, evap coil, thermostat, filter cabinet, new line set, any ductwork modifications, etc .

IMO

• WestervilleMan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

All,

I am not sure who manufactures their equipment but I know it is made in Witchita, KS. The marketing material for the equipment can be found at the links below. The quote included changing the return duct from furnace to the ceiling in the basement, so only at the base. The quote also included a new line out the side of the house for ventilation? The current vent is metal going up to an outside vent (i think in the attic?). The price also included a new thermostat.

I don't know the exact manufacturer or model number but I will call back and ask.

Furnace - http://www.atlasbutler.com/Products/Furnaces/VARIABLESPEEDTWOSTAGEGASFURNACE95AFUE/tabid/2705/Default.aspx

Air Conditioner -
    http://www.atlasbutler.com/Products/AirConditioners/AIRCONDITIONER14UPTO15SEER/tabid/2568/Default.aspx

Does this information help with your assessment? What other information should I get from the sales guy for Atlas Butler? What other critical questions should I ask for the other guys coming to give a quote?

Thanks for your patience with a newbie on the board that knows nothing about this type of stuff.

• BobdaBuilda
    12 years ago

I live in the Cincinnati area, but have family in the Columbus area (Dublin). Last year they replaced their entire system with a Trane system and have been very happy with both the price and service offered by Logan AC & Heat.

• WestervilleMan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Follow up:

All I spoke to Atlas Butler and the manufacturer of their private label brand is United Products Group. I was told the specific model number wouldn't be found since they have them made to their specifications.

Does anyone know about this manufacturer?

Additional stuff included in their $9300 quote is 7 years of annual service. New linesets are included in the price and haul away of old unit. They also provide a 2 year lemon warranty (haven't read the fine print) that says if I am unhappy with the unit for any reason they will replace it at no charge, including labor.

Still waiting for Trane to call back. The Atlas Butler guy said that most of the parts on other brands is made outside of US and us aluminum coils and they use stainless steel.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

westerville

I think your quote is high.

I do not like the idea of rebranded/rebadged HVAC. This may be York HVAC but not completely certain.

If this was my decision, I would not walk but run from this dealer.

IMO

• neohioheatpump
    12 years ago

Call some independent installers in your area. There are plenty of good HVAC people around you I"m sure. They would give a better price than that with equipment brands you heard of.

• CigarLover
    12 years ago

Hey Westerville,
    Just a suggestion since I'm in the market for a complete new system as well & I have done extensive research on all the "Big Brands" in the industry. Take a look at American Standard Systems. Trane & American Standard are built in the same factory in Texas but I like the American Standard equipment looks, better that the Trane brand. They use the thickest & heavist sheetmetal in the Industry (Very Quiet.)Good luck......

• WestervilleMan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

All...I got an updated quote for a Trane system and would like feedback on the pricing of the unit?

TRANE Option #1
    A/C - 4TTZ0048A
    Furnance - TUH2C100A9V
    Coil - 4TXCC
    Thermostat - TZONE950
    New Duct Work on returns to properly size - Basically replacing all the return duct work in the basement and adding a new return in the finished basement since there is not one there now
    New line sets
    10 year parts
    1 year labor
    Price - $10,800

Option #2
    Same as above for furnace except A/C would be XL16i
    Price - 9,451.00

Option #3
    Same as a above for furnace expect A/C would be XL151 3 Ton
    Price - 8,990.00

This quote included a manual J test and the results are below:
    69,980 Btuh
    Recommended cooling tons - 3.41

Questions...the XL20 and Xl16 from TRANE only come in 3 and 4 ton units and no 3.5...if I choose either one of these based on the manual J...should I go with the 4 ton or the 3 ton?

Thanks in advance for the feedback

• WestervilleMan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Correction...option#3 is xl15i and is 3.5 ton

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Westerville

Nothing inexpensive about that quote.

I would get a quote on a Carrier/Bryant Infinity furnace 80 KBTU paired with a Performance 15 or Performance 17 AC.

And BTW, if your cooling load is correct, then you can't go with a three
    ton. Must be 3 1/2 sgl stg or 4 ton two stg condenser. Of course ductwork will require modification. It's highly likely you are undersized on cooling.

IMO

• WestervilleMan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.

Curiously, why would you recommend the Carrier over the Trane? The duct work changes is included in the price above...not all duct work will be changed but what is exposed in the basement. Since they do not itemize, could the duct work be the cause of the high quote?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting