Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with System Selection

Posted by HotInNJ (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 22:07

I'm down to making my final decision on my AC replacement (no heat). They are both 4 ton units with the non-communicating variable speed air-handler. Both contractors seem reputable. The Lennox is a 16 SEER(gets rebates) while the Trane is a 15 SEER(no rebates). The price of the Lennox with all of the rebates is about the same as the Trane without the rebates. I'm getting the 5" media filter on both as well.

Lennox XC14-041 w/ CBX32MV-048+TDR

Trane XR15-4TTR5048E w/ 4TEE3F49C

The systems are very comparable. I'm kind of leaning toward the Trane unit since I hear they are a bit more reliable, and part are easier to get for them. The Trane compressor is slightly larger.

10 Year Parts, 10 Year Compressor, 5 Year labor on both.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with System Selection

HotinNJ

The Trane is a nicer system.

I realize NJ has expensive electric rates. However if you heat with oil or propane, it might make it worthwhile to take a second look at a heat pump and possible cost advantage.

Now to the Trane. Here is the AHRI number for your configuration.

3437269 Active Systems XR15 TRANE 4TTR5048E1 4TEE3F49B1 44500 12.50 15.00 1

you realize the communicating air handler can hit the 16 SEER target and the relatively new VS Hyperion model goes to 15.75 SEER.

Also with the 4TTR5049E1 condenser, there are systems that hit the 16 SEER threshold. My point is you should discuss this further with your dealer.

IMO

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here