Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmallon1_gw

Replacement System Carrier vs Trane

TMallon1
10 years ago

Hi, replacing a 16 year old 2 system Trane HVAC set up, live in MD, 3300 Sf of conditioned space on first floor and basement with trane Central AC XE1200 2.5 ton,and XE 90 (3 ton coil and 3.5 ton blower) gas furnace-80K BTU. and Heat Pump Xe1200 2 ton for 1800 sf upstairs. Considering a Trane Lx20i system vs a top of the line Carrier system: For upstairs-carrier 2 ton Inverter Heat pump 25 VNA024A003 19.1 Seer, EER 14.7HSPF 10.5. matched with Air Handler FE4ANF002. -right air handler?; Infinity 3 ton modulating gas furnace 59MN7A080V17--14 and 3 ton Central Air 24ANB136A003 and Aspen C36A coil to achieve the 19 seer rating for the basement and ground floor -2 system price quote of $22,720.
Right Carrier system and right price?? How does this carrier system compare with Trane Lx20i?? Are there any carrier or trane rebates that might help with the cost?? Thanks for help with questions.

Comments (4)

• mike_home
    10 years ago

The Carrier inverter heat pump seems to be overkill. I am not sure if you will see a return on the investment versus a non-inverter heat pump. I also don't think you need a 19 SEER rated AC for Maryland.

You should get a Carrieror Trane coil versus the Aspen.

The Carrier rebates usually start in September.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

1. I would want load calcs performed for each zone for correct sizing.

2. No 3rd party evap coils, absurd to even recommend

3. The GreenSpeed HP is overkill for your location/climate. Why not an 80% eff nat gas furnace with high eff AC or HP?

4. I suggest another quote from Carrier/Bryant and Trane/AmStd.

5. I assume Carrier dealer has quoted Infinity controls for both systems. If he didn't, he should have.

6. Mfg rebates generally start late summer/early fall.

IMO

• bry911
    10 years ago

I think you have been way oversold. 19 SEER in Maryland seems extraordinarily high.

Maryland only has 5 months when average high temperatures are above 72. Assuming the hottest summer ever, requiring active AC run time of 12 hours per day every day of the 5 months (which you would not, it will probably run no more than 120 days and 8 hours a day even in a warm summer.) And assuming that electric rates for Maryland remain around 13.7 cents /KWh, we get:

Operating cost for 14 seer - 1,057.00 per year
    Operating cost for 16 seer - 924.75 per year
    Operating cost for 19 seer - 778.74 per year

Using the more realistic 120 days of cooling and 8 hours of run time each day:

Operating cost for 14 seer - 563.66 per year
    Operating cost for 16 seer - 493.20 per year
    Operating cost for 19 seer - 415.32 per year

Your high efficiency AC is never ever going to pay for the upcharge required to get it. Now having said that there are other considerations that may push you in that direction. Arguably comfort for one.

• TMallon1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Several points- great feedback re the questions I asked
    Costs figures helpful to see 19 seer likely overkill.

1.What would be a great carrier system with a 16-18 seer rating for the MD area with 2 ton HP & AH, 3 ton central air/3 ton gas furnace that is a certified-matched system? We have a 92% efficient furnace and wanted to stay there or better ie 95%.
    2. Next step down for Trane system is the Lx 18i which looks like a reasonable choice. We have the 12 Seer system now HP and Central Air and XE 90. BG&E Bill for May thru Sept $1400 so likely will see some savings here. Trane system has a better warrantee on the condenser 12 yr vs 10 year carrier.
    3. Forgot to mention price includes new Gs 650 water heater.
    4. Contractor did not specify infinity controls for the carrier system.
    5. Noted no third party controls- contractor did say Aspen makes coils for carrier use.
    6. I do have three other contractors coming.
    7. I did find an HVAC installer checklist from ACCA.org. Do you have a handy checklist to compare quotes that you advise using?? It seems the quality of the install job is as much if not more important than the equipment being installed ie trane or carrier systems.