Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcarlson78248

Replacing Cast Iron Radiator with Toe Kick Heater

As part of my kitchen renovation we want to take out a cast iron radiator (calculates to about 7200 BTU) under the kitchen sink and I had planned to replace it with a toe kick heater. However, when I talked to tech support at Turbonics they recommended piping a separate circulation zone for the toe kick heater.

They explained that when my heat cycles off the cast iron radiators still radiate heat for quite a while, but the toe kick heater will cool off in just a few minutes. They recommend setting up a separate zone and pump for the toe kick heater. Is this a typical requirement for this type of heater?

I don't want to renovate the kitchen and find out I've made it the cold spot in the house. I'm located in Virginia outside of DC, so most winters we don't have extremely cold weather.

System info: I'm using a 1 year old Buderus GC-124 natural gas boiler and Honeywell setback thermostat, and I'm happy with the performance. All radiator pipes (1940 vintage) run around the perimeter of the unfinished basement and up to the first and 2nd floors. The house is only about 650 sq ft per floor. There is a single circulation pump for the entire system.

Any suggestions or comments about the need to run a separate line to the toe kick heater? Will I have a cold kitchen if I don't put it on a separate circulation pump?

Thanks,

Bruce

Comments (4)

• mike_home
    10 years ago

My first reaction is having a separate zone for a toe kick radiator in a small kitchen (120 sq ft?) seems to be overkill. Kitchens are typically the warmest room in the house due to the heat from the stove and refrigerator. But your kitchen may be coldest room in the house because of its location in relationship to the boiler, the number of windows, and if it has an exterior door. You may have an opinion from previous winters.

There is no argument having a separate zone for the kitchen will give the best temperature control. The question is if it is necessary. If the old radiator was small and the kitchen is open to the rest of the house, then it is likely the separate zone is not needed.

What you could do is not put in the separate zone now, but see if it possible to pipe the toe kick radiator so that adding a separate zone later will be relatively easy. I would also run the wiring for a thermostat so it will be an easy hook up at the time of installation.

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

I would have the contractor explain how theyâÂÂre going to configure this zone so that it doesnâÂÂt trigger unnecessary and inefficient short cycling in the boiler.

Have you looked at other âÂÂstylesâ of kitchen radiators?

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: Jaga

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mike_home - Thanks for your comments. I also had the idea of installing it without the additional zone and then determining whether its needed after I get into heating season. All the zone's new pipes would be in the basement, so they could be added later.

fsq4cw - Your question also occurred to me, since that one toe kick would probably call for hot water more frequently. However, in my internet research I have not found homeowners with that complaint about a toe kick.
    Do you know of an alternate radiator type that would have similar characteristics to the old cast iron? All the new European-style ones appear to be much lighter weight, and I assume that affects heat retention characteristics.
    The existing radiator is short, but 7 rows deep. It worked okay under the old sink, but its design won't allow space for a garbage disposal. If I try to fit a radiator out in the kitchen under the side window it could be long (36") and tall (28"), but I'd like it as narrow as possible.

Thanks,

Bruce

This post was edited by bcarlson78248 on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 5:57

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Here is a company which makes unique looking radiators as an alternative to the toe kick design. You can get a radiator which is only two inches deep.

Here is a link that might be useful: Runtal Radiators