Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Excess Condensation

Posted by auggie1020 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 21:38

Hi all: Purchased BRYANT Evolution EXTREME Series comfort system Evolution variable speed condenser/ heat pump 280ANV048/ 280ANV036
Evolution variable speed modulating 97% afue gas furnace 987MA426017/987MA60100V21
High efficiency evaporator coil
CNPVP061/CNPVP037
BRYANT EVOLUTION 7 day digital programmable thermostats Evolution electronic zoning for upper level
PURON Environmentally safe refrigerant.

Just installed and the unit in the basement is literally dripping water from the part of the supply duct connected to the unit and through the air handler. This does not seem right and I think it is going to lead to big problems. The installer says he wants to open up the air handler and add insulation. This does NOT sound like a good solution to me. Anyone have any ideas as to why this would be happening and what the fix is?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Excess Condensation

What is the humidity level in the basement? I suspect it is high and you are seeing condensation on the cold duct work.

You may need to install a dehumdifier in the basement. I would try this before adding insulation.

o

I had a similar problem two years ago with a new basement Carrier installation. The instant fix was to insulate - it took about an hour and was 100% effective - and done at no charge.

I had added a return in my basement concurrent with the install and in a week or so the humidity level in my basement had dropped nearly 10%.

The addition of a basement dehumidifier will have a measureable impact on your monthly electric bill.

o

That is sure odd, I would try insulating too. You could also use a dehumidifier. We use one and it sucks so much condensation and water out of the air. Our basement used to be a bit stinky, not anymore. Let us know how you make out if you insulate the area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here