Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jpack24

Advice Comparing Air Cleaners

jpack24
14 years ago

This is the first of what will be several questions over the next few days re: the purchase of a replacement furnace/heat pump/air filtration system. Rather than bog down a thread with multiple questions in one post, I will try to go step by step so I can keep the information straight. :-))

Our current system uses a standard 1" 16x25 filter. It simply slides into an unsealed slot, so a lot of air leaks by the filter; the filter is held "tight" by the air flow through it...obviously not working very well. I want/need to have much better filtration, but am not sure how much is enough/how much is overkill and hype. Whatever furnace/heat pump combination I end up with, there will be more than enough cfm generated to handle any air cleaner I end up with.

My wife has some allergies, none of which, according to her dermatologist, are caused by my basement woodworking shop. I don't believe this totally, since her allergies seem to worsen about the time I start working to get ready for my craft show fall season. As such, any new system will be sealed, theoretically, to any return air in the basement (remember, our current system is sucking dusty air by the filter all the time). Again, in theory, the dust in the basement will not be sucked in by the new system - only the return air from upstairs will be filtered.

I don't mind maintaining a filter by vacuuming and/or washing, and I don't mind (so much) replacing filters as needed. What I do mind is buying more than I really need, or buying "snake oil" when I don't know it.

With the variable speed blower furnace I will likely be buying, I plan to run the blower 24/7 to have 24 hour filtration.

At the "top of the line," I am l looking at these, all of which are touted by their manufacturers to the the absolute best:

Trane Clean Effects

Bryant Perfect Air/Carrier Infinity

Lennox Pure Air

One step down in cost/complexity, I am looking at these:

Trane 5" Perfect Fit Media Filter (same case as Clean Effects, just media only)

Bryant Preferred EZ Flex/Carrier Performance EZ Flex - either 10 or 16 MERV

Lennox EZ Flex

Honeywell F100

Question 1 - In actual everyday performance, not in mfg. specs, will I notice a difference in performance between the first and most expensive category (Pure Air, etc.) and the "filter only" units in the less expensive category?

Question 2 - Within each type, which would you install or recommend for your own house under these conditions? Why?

Thanks so much for your help. I have been absolutely impressed with the tone and quality of the answers you folks provide here...information, not trash talk like I have found on so many other sites.

Joe

Comments (10)

• troys
    14 years ago

I can tell you that the Trane clean effects is a very good filter. That is the only electronic filter I install and I did install one in my home before I started selling them. They actually cut the dust way down in the home and is very good with allergies. I always run it on ON when someone gets sick and in CIR rest of the time. It is one of the easiest that I have found to clean and maintain. I have not tried the others so I cannot compare to them but they make the Trane in several sizes to fit other manufactures units if you go with another brand ac.

• srercrcr
    14 years ago

Two things....if you run the blower full time, when the compressor is off, you will be putting humidity back into the house because the blower is pushing air through a very wet coil (unless humidity isnt really an issue).
    I have a Carrier electronic air cleaner. I turned it off cause as the particles of whatever hit the unit, it would make a popping noise. Remember those black mesh filters they put in window air conditioners? Theyre kinda hard to find now, but for like $2 you can lay that across the front of your existing filter. It does a super filtering job, is washable, and cheap.

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

jpack

Threads like this can get you in the deep weeds but I will offer my thoughts as well as some anecdotal information.

I subscribe to the KISS principle. I think that the 4-5" pleated filter media cabinet MERV 10-12 is more than adequate for 99.9% of homeowners and provides good indoor air quality,good airflow without restriction, and good protection of evap coil and blower motor. Those are the reasons for filtration. Changeout can be up to one year depending on one's home and number of people/pets etc plus it is very easy. Changeout takes about 30 seconds and there is zero maintenance/cleaning. Depending on source and generic vs OEM, filters can cost between $35-$60.

I have nothing against the third party brands. But I will say I have a Trane dual fuel system and my Perfect Fit Media cabinet fits my furnace like a glove should fit a hand.

There use to be a regular dealer/pro on this forum who many times stated he removed more EACs than he installed. Don't know if that's still true.

IMO

• insaprsr
    13 years ago

About 5 years ago we installed a Carrier system with a Carrier Electronic Air Cleaner. I was somewhat disappointed, because I saw some dust collect on the blower cover just beneath the Air Cleaner within a couple of weeks after cleaning the unit. Because I thought (wrongly) that this whoop de doo unit was much better somehow than an ordinary pleated filter, I put up with the normal snapping sounds when dust hit the thing and got zapped, the nuisance of cleaning the filters and occasionally replacing the wires that sometimes broke. Finally, it stopped making those zaps, and I asked my maintenance contract mechanic to repair it--he just took the dumb grids out, and replaced them with an Air Bear 8 pleated filter--are you certain THAT will be as good as my high-tech wonder filter I asked--he just laughed. Before putting it in, he wiped the blower case clean--after the Air Bear was in a couple of months, I took it out and looked--and the blower case was still clean. Wouldn't have happened with the electronic unit. My unscientific verdict: the electronic air cleaner is a rip-off--don't waste your money!

• sportsgaleliza
    13 years ago

I have a space pack a/c unit into my old house and it has a dynamic electro static air filter system. I am not too familiar with these systems and am wondering how often I need to change the air filter and whether it matters whether I go with the name (dynamic) brand or not.

I am not convinced of the benefits of electro static air filters but am knot that knowledgeable.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

• fsq4cw
    13 years ago

Re: insaprsr:

Most interesting (and illuminating) post; canÂt say IÂm very surprised.

Re: sportsgaleliza

I too have a Dynamic electrostatic air filter. I feel theyÂre pretty good with little restriction of airflow and comparably priced to name brand quality standard air filters. They should be replaced at least a couple of times during each heating/cooling season. You could also vacuum them periodically to extend their usefulness; just put them back facing the same way they came out.

SR

• zippyhvac
    13 years ago

I like any 4-5" media filter. They're cheap and proven technology. I'm running the Honeywell f100 series now, but I wouldn't speak badly of any of the brands mentioned. FWIW, I would pick your favorite major brand though - it will give you the opportunity to scan the net for replacement elements and keep your costs down.

• candrei1
    10 years ago

Hello, i have a suggestion for all of you who are looking to purchase an electrostatic air filter. I recommend everyone NeverBuyAnotherFilter.
    I have been using it and I am very satisfied with it. I also have some friends who've been using and they are very satisfied too

Here is a link that might be useful: NeverBuyAnotherFilter

• jackfre
    10 years ago

I prefer the 5" pleated filters from Trion or the others. Filters are based on MERV numbers. The higher the number the tighter the filter. Make sure you contractor knows what you will be using because a real tight filter will affect system performance by restricting air flow.

You might want to look into an ERV air to air heat exchanger and for what you are trying to avoid (shop air transmission). you should pressure test the duct system before and after the work is done. google "doeduct leakage" and spend a few minutes reading.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!