Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AC cooling upstairs but not downstairs

Posted by misskia614 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 21:27

So here is my dilemma, and I know its usually the other way around. We have a two story house, 1 unit but 2 thermostats. The upstairs is cooling nicely, but there is no cold air blowing downstairs, at all. I also noticed that there is a drain on the 2nd story that has been pouring out water. Any suggestions as to what might be wrong, and where to look/how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AC cooling upstairs but not downstairs

If you have a condensate drain on the second story, it would appear that you actually have two units, one of which is in the attic. That would explain why you have cool upstairs only. Or, you only have an upstairs unit that is zoned to handle both upstairs and downstairs, and the zoning has failed.

o

How would you not know if you had 2 units? Wouldn't you have to set them both to get them both to work. This one has me stumped if you only have 1 unit. Its odd that the upstairs is working but not the downstairs.

o

Maybe I am confued then. Outside we have one "unit", upstairs in the hall closet there is something. I was always under the impression that when you had 2 units they were located outside.

o

It appears that you have one system located upstairs, zoned with two thermostats to control upstairs and downstairs. Apparently someting to do with the downstairs zone has failed. Time to call a professional.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here