Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ridgesite

reality check on HVAC replacement quote, please?

Ridgesite
9 years ago

Hi - I'm a lurker/reader, but this is my first post. I'd really appreciate a reality check on a quote I've received. I've talked to other folks, but I don't like dragging multiple busy contractors through the whole proposal process (I've spent a bunch of years working in unrelated construction areas).

Our current HVAC (Thermo Pride oil furnace and Heil A/C, single zone) is about 25 years old, have given good service and are still working but we want to do a preventive replacement. Been in our home 20 years; central CT (Hartford-New Haven, not in the $$ Fairfield county-NYC commuter area), all on single level plus loft, 3300 sq ft including utility room. Very solid, well insulated, designed as passive solar. The proposed sizing corresponds to what we already have, which has worked out well.

Quote is for:

Thermo Pride OH8FA119DV5 furnace, variable speed, ECM, Beckett burner

Bryant 186BNA042000 condensing unit and CNPVU4324ALA coil, and T-6 thermostat

Bryant HUMBBLBP4217 bypass humidifier

Installation, materials, disposal of old units included; no mention of new line set, so I assume the intention is to reuse (which I am okay with unless I shouldn't be). Excellent straight-in access, door right there, no stairs, very straightforward job.

Proposal is just over $13,000 without sales tax. Energy credits go to homeowner. One year parts and labor warranty (manufacturer warranties apply as well).

In all the research and discussions I've had, I haven't been able to justify this price. So the question is, am I off base and the price is ballpark, or is it out of market? Truly not looking to squeeze dimes, but I have developed a different number that I think is very fair to the contractor, but I'd really appreciate a reality check.

Thanks.

Comments (3)