Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

carrier infinity idiocy...more of a rant

davidrt28 (zone 7)
10 years ago

If there's a brownout or blackout while the compressor is running, the unit almost inevitably goes into a 4 hour lockout to protect the compressor from overheating. OK, I can kinda understand that. Happened today, I was outside spraying for weeds and heard my neighbor's pool pump falter for a moment. Didn't think anything of it and stayed out for another hour or so. I come in the house, and the circulator fan is running, blasting hot air. (my house is a single story with the ducts in the attic, so they become very hot in summer w/o the AC functioning) WHY doesn't it just shut the circulator off if it knows the compressor isn't working? What is the point of leaving it running for 4 hours? If you wanted it on, you can always manually turn it on. I'd call the company that installed it but I've decided they suck (installers made a mess compared to other home contractors I've had) and besides there's probably no way to alter this feature.

Comments (7)

• mike_home
    10 years ago

What is the model number of you r condenser? Do you have an Infinity controller? The usual time delay when shutting down the AC is 5 minutes. I have never heard of a 4 hour delay with the blower continuing to run. I think you have a system issue. You should have the problem diagnosed by a competent Carrier dealer.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'The usual time delay when shutting down the AC is 5 minutes."

If you google "carrier 4 hour timeout" you will find that this is known issue with this series of Carriers.

Turns out the company that installed it no longer represents Carrier. No surprise there. I'm in a rural area so there are only a few possible choices to come out and look at it, but fortunately one says he's coming by 2pm. House is getting hot - it could be close to 95F today here.

Had a 15+ year old Trane before than ran fine for the 5 years I owned it, through brown outs and power outages and heat waves. Only once needed a slight charge topping. To say I'm disappointed with the reliability of this unit would be an understatement. On the plus side I do think it lowered my AC bill, just a little.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

I Googled "carrier 4 hour timeout". The only thing I found was the link to your thread.

I read the thread. The condenser cuts out when it detects three consecutive faults. Do you see the fault messages on the Infinity controller?

You have either an equipment problem or an installation problem. This I why I said you should not experience more than a 5 minute delay when you get a power interruption. A 4 hour delay is not normal operation.

Your best bet is to find a Carrier Factory Authorized dealer. If your equipment is less than 10 years old then it should be under warranty if it was properly registered at the time of installation.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I knew that 3 normal faults put it into the 4 hour lockout. The question was why does it keep having multiple faults in a row. Maybe brownouts caused the compressor to become stressed and then the starting circuitry wasn't able to work right. I don't know. Brownouts have become alarmingly frequent here since Hurricane Irene. I pestered the power company about it a few months ago and it seems better since then.

But, it was fixed the next day. Guy replaced the stock cap, said it was bad - "under warranty" but charged me $200 for some super-booster cap that he said would help alleviate future problems. I now find out these cost Still think it's idiotic that the default behavior is to keep circulating hot air when it has a fault. EVERYTHING should shut down and the error be displayed on the controller.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Now that I understand your complaint, I agree the Infinity controller should shut everything down when it detects the type of fault you are experiencing.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!