Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Central air Unit

Posted by railroader (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 21, 11 at 21:15

I thought I posted this before, but could not find anything.
I am thinking about replacing my old (20years or More) Sears Central air unit. Does anyone have a thoughts about a Goodman Central Air Unit, Perhaps a 16 to 18 Seer unit, 5 ton. I installed the one I have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Central air Unit

Railroad

Not a fan of Goodman products but keep in mind the higher SEER models would require a matching inside air handler/furnace with a var speed blower.

IMO

o

Well, I guess that takes care of the higher Seer Unit, I have a Sears 125,000 BTU furnace that only has a two speed fan, one for heating and one speed for cooling. I am retired, I don't see how I could afford to replace both, this was the reason for looking at the Goodman, I don't think I can afford the name brand units, and most contractors in my area want to install it. My Sears 3-1/2 ton central Air unit cost $1700, and in the 25 years I have had it, not one problem with it, and about the same with the furnace that cost around $800, which I also installed myself. I would consider another Sears unit, but I don't think the sell units without installation as they did before.

o

Railroader

If you plan on keeping your existing furnace, then stIck to a good 13 SEER condenser with full coil protection and matching evap coil.

However, I see no reason to replace if existing is relatively trouble free and still providing your home good comfort. No reason though not to do some preliminary research on new AC to get ready for when replacement is called for.

IMO

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here