Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing AC Outside Condenser Unit

Posted by vinsuz (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 21:09

Hi, thanks to my dog, I have to replace the outside condenser unit before we can put our house on the market. I was hoping to just replace the coil, but I've heard repeatedly that it's probably cheaper to replace the whole unit.

Here are my questions:
- I was quoted $2,200 for a new 3.5 ton Lennox Elite 13, installed and recharged. Is that reasonable?
- I was told that they can't reclaim the R-22 already in the system because it might be contaminated, so the $2,200 included a recharge with new R-22. This sounds fishy to me.
- I asked if the compressor from the old unit would be worth anything (it's about 13 years old but has never given us a problem). He said I could keep the old unit but they would just junk it. Really?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Vin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing AC Outside Condenser Unit

You are replacing a 3 1/2 ton AC condenser?

Price includes new matching Lennox evap coil? It must be a matching Lennox evap coil.

What brand, model, size is your furnace?

The Elite 13 model is XC13. Confirm back. It takes the R410a refrigerant so the question of recovering and reusing old R-22 refrigerant is not relevant or applicable. This is not a bad condenser, relatively quiet.

Your old condenser has no value other than scrap or if someone might use for parts. Unlikely though and not practical.

Price is too good and I would be looking behind the numbers. Something not right here.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: Lennox Elite 13

o

Manufacturers are no longer allowed to sell AC condensers with R-22 refrigerant. The are allowed to sell condensers with no refrigerant. These are called dry charged units.

Lennox does offer one dry charged unit. It is the LCS13DC. Is this what has been quoted?

I agree the installation price is too good to be true. I relaize you are trying to do this as cheaply as possible, but be careful who you choose to do the installation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lennox Dry Charged Unit

o

The house may not need a large 3.5-Ton condenser; it may be better sized with a 3-Ton condenser & matching coil which would save U some money.

Do a load-calc on your house or get someone to do it; a 5th grader can do them.

The free load-calc link is listed below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Whole House Load-Calc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here