Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
notsure2

need HELP in choosing the right combinations (heating and cooling

notsure2
10 years ago

All,

i'm newbie to this site and would like to get a expert advice or suggestion in regards to replacing my A/C and gas furnace...I have this weekend to decide. i have 2 quotes made up already by 2 different local contractors in my area (wash dc suburbs) and I am wondering if these 2 quotes I have are compatible or 'matched to each other and are as efficient as these 2 individuals are telling me. here are my 2 quotes:

Carrier guy:

A/C: model #: 24ANB748A003

gas furnace: model #: 59TP5A100E21...20

evaporator coil: model #: CNPVP4821ALA

thermostat: model #: TP-PRH01-A (thermidistat)

total price: $ 9412.00
(with empower MD rebate of $800.00 and $500.00 federal tax credit) net investment of $8112.00

Trane guy:

A/C: XL15i 3.5 ton, Single stage

gas furnace: XV95, v-speed, 2 stage and 4 ton

he did not quote me what kind of evaporator coil he's going to use. the carrier guy is more specific what he's going to match with his system...this trane guy is not. any of you out there can help on these? any matching evap coil that will go with this system correctly? I will ask him about a specific model he's going to use with this system.

thermostat: Honeywell 8000 wifi programmable/touchscreen.

total price: $ 9181.00
(with BGE rebate of $450.00 and $200.00 fed. tax credit)
I wonder why I get less on the trane fed tax credit than a carrier...anybody knows? net investment of $8531.00

I am not looking the best of the best systems out there but just enough to make sure that I get a good system that will last and efficient enough so I can lower my monthly bills as well. hope someone can help me...I need to decide this weekend.

Thank You all...

Comments (11)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What size home?

What is your location?

What size HVAC are you replacing?

What size in BTUs is Trane XV95 that was quoted?

Post back.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 6:14

• notsure2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tigerdunes,

what size? it's a 2,240 square feet. the heating system is located in the basement (unfinished). it's a split system, A/C is just outside where the heating is located.

i'm here in Beltsville, MD

A/C, as far as I know is a Rheem brand and has a 3.5 ton capacity and the gas furnace is made by Rheem as well with a rating of 92 AFUE. I will check the whole specs later when I get back doing some errands today.

the trane guy quoted me a 100,000 btu - 4 ton XV95 gas furnace to be paired with a A/C XL15i, 1 stage - 3.5 ton.

I gave him some other trane combinations and told me those won't work. I was hoping with all those combinations I've quoted to him...the total price/amount I will get is a lot lower than the one I first posted here...

anyways, is that a fair amount price of HVAC's in this area? I was thinking of scaling down or downgrade my system as I am on tight 'budget' right now.

what do you think of the carrier guy I originally posted? any thoughts on that as well?

your input is greatly appreciated tiger! thank you so much...

• notsure2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tiger,

I forgot to mention...the trane guy never quoted me about what he will use for the evaporator coils for his system. any thoughts on this? what will be a good match for the system that he quoted me? stick with a trane brand as well?

I will post the original specs of my old system, when I get back.

thank you.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

The prices seem reasonable based on the equipment you have been quoted and their sizes.

Did either contractor do a load calculation? It seems a 100K BTU furnace and 4 ton AC seem large for a 2240 sq. ft. house in Maryland. I think you could easily get by with a 80K BTU furnace. The 2-stage AC models only come in whole ton sizes. This may be a reason why you were quoted a 4 ton unit with the Carrier condenser. The Trane condenser is available in half ton sizes.

If you want to save some money you could change the Carrier condenser to the single stage 24ANA6 condenser in the 3.5 ton size. I personally think 2-stage condensers are great in areas that suffer from high humidity. However a properly sized single stage condenser should also give good humidity control under most weather conditions.

The Trane contractor needs to supply all the model numbers of the equipment. He should also give the AHRI directory number which indicates it is a valid match. Don't do business with him if he does not want to provide model number details.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

not sure,

You certainly do not need a 100 KBTU high eff furnace in either the Trane or Carrier system.

How would you describe your home's insulation properties?

And yes, you would want the best matching Trane evap coil.

Besides the size of the Carrier furnace which is oversized, the match of the furnace model and AC condenser is interesting but questionable. The Carrier dealer has quoted a high eff Performance series furnace, two stage, but with a fixed speed high eff blower. You should know you get better dehumidification with a var speed blower motor. But even more puzzling is pairing with a high end Infinity condenser which would be overkill. If staying with that furnace, I would drop down to the Performance 17 AC condenser. That would save you a few bucks.

More later.

IMO

• notsure2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tiger and mike,

the carrier guy just got back at me this morning and gave me another combination he thinks that will help me...save $$$ a little more. here are his new quote. please kindly check out if this is a good system to replace my old hvac system.

A/C:

24ACC6

Performance
    Efficiency Up to 16.5 SEER
    Limited Warranty 10-year parts limited warranty when properly registered1
    ENERGY STAR®
    Details All Carrier air conditioner products achieving system combinations of 14.5 SEER and 12 EER or higher meet the ENERGY STAR guidelines for efficiency. Proper sizing and installation of equipment is critical to achieve optimal performance. Air conditioners must be matched with appropriate indoor coil components to meet ENERGY STAR criteria. Ask your contractor for details or visit the ENERGY STAR website.
    Sound
    Quiet Level2 As low as 72 dB
    Features Sound suppressing compressor blanket
    Controls
    Controls Supported Edge® and Comfort™ thermostats
    Technology
    Refrigerant Environmentally-sound Puron® refrigerant
    Compressor Single-stage Scroll
    Cooling Capacity (tons) 1.5 - 5
    Pressure Switches High and Low
    Aesthetics
    Protection WeatherArmor™
    Construction Galvanized steel
    Paint Baked-on, powder coat paint
    Coil Guard Steel, louver Coil Guard

Gas furnace:

59TP5

Performance
    Efficiency Up to 96.5% AFUE
    Inducer Motor Single-speed
    Gas Valve Two heating stages
    Limited Warranty 10-year parts limited warranty when properly registered; Lifetime limited warranty on heat exchanger1
    ENERGY STAR®
    Details As an ENERGY STAR partner, Carrier Corporation has determined that the Performance™ 96 gas furnace meets the ENERGY STAR guidelines for energy efficiency.
    Controls
    Controls Supported All Thermostats
    Diagnostics On Board
    Technology
    Capacity 40,000 - 120,000 BTUH
    Blower Motor Multiple-speed ECM
    Primary Heat Exchanger Aluminized steel
    Secondary Heat Exchanger Fin-and-tube stainless steel
    Fuel Natural Gas; convertible to liquid propane (LP)
    Aesthetics
    Profile Variable-speed Multipoise
    Construction Galvanized steel
    Paint Baked-on urethane base coat and polyester top coat

Evaporator coil:

CNPVP

Performance
    Limited Warranty 10-year parts limited warranty when properly registered; 10-year parts limited warranty on optional tin plated coils; 5-year parts limited warranty on copper coil1
    Technology
    Refrigerant Puron® refrigerant
    Coil Configuration Cased N
    Features Thermostatic Expansion Valve
    Cooling Capacity (tons) 1.5 - 5
    Installation Vertical
    Aesthetics
    Construction Heavy gauge steel cabinet
    Paint Taupe Metallic

Thermostat:

TC-NAC

Performance
    Limited Warranty 10-year parts limited warranty when properly registered1
    Technology
    Staging 1 Heat, 1 Cool
    Access On-unit
    Power Supply 24-volt or battery
    Aesthetics
    Display Backlit LCD
    non-programmable thermostat

total price: $8132.00
    (MD rebate of $80.00 and fed. tax credit of $500.00)
    net investment: $ 6832.00

gentlemen...what do you think of this system? will this work? I specifically told the carrier guy the other day that the original quote he gave me were just over my budget and needs to come up with another system that will replace my old one.

thank you both!

BTW:

here are the exact model numbers for each:

A/C: 24ACC642003

GAS FURNACE: 59TP5A100E21..20

EVAP COIL: CNPVP4821ALA

THERMOSTAT/NON PROGRAMMABLE: TC-NAC01

hope this helps...

• notsure2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

*MD rebate should be $800.00, not $80.00...

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Still oversized on furnace. What the heck is he thinking?

You want the 80 KBTU model, not the 100 K model.

I would ask dealer if another coil can be used. See below.

5113938 Active Systems PERFORMANCE 16 PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24ACC642A**30 CNPH*4321A** 59*P5A080E21**20 41500 13.00 16.00 1 RCU-A-CB 314 Yes

Still reaches the Fed Tax Credit threshold pls gets you to a correctly sized furnace.

You don't want to hear this but I prefer the XV95 because of the var speed blower.

BTW, what about refrigerant lineset and a filter media cabinet?

IMO

• notsure2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tiger and mike (and anybody out there that can reply to this posts)

trane guy came back to me today and gave me another 'proposal'. I just want to get an info/input from you guys if this is good at all.

AC:

XB14 or XB16 (I know this is builders grade a/c...but it can go up to 16.5 SEER...as what the website says) also, like I said before...I am in a tight 'budget'. if this lasts anywhere between 12 to 15 years...i'll be a real happy camper...I sure hope so! it didn't say that if it's a single stage or 2 stage a/c. btw, it's a 3.5 ton a/c he quoted me.

gas furnace:

XV95, variable speed/2 stage furnace. 4 ton - 100,000 btu
    "increased dehumidification with comfort R"...whatever that means...anybody knows?

thermostat:

Honeywell 8000, wifi programmable/touchscreen thermostat. I hope this works as I have a variable speed/2 stage furnace!

I am adding a trane perfect fit 5 inch media filter with the system...I don't have quote on this yet...anybody knows how much will this cost and if it's a good match with this system?

and finally, will add a aprilaire model 600 whole house (by-pass) humidifier...I was quoted $525 for the system. again, just like the media filter...is this a good match to this system?

thanks again for all your input!

• mike_home
    10 years ago

If you are on a budget then don't get quotes for over sized variable speed furnaces. Save money by buying the proper smaller size.

The XB14 is a single stage AC. I believe it is considered a builder's grade AC. If you are planning to live in the house for 15 years then consider buying a better condenser. The price of the condenser is not necessarily determined by the SEER rating. It more a factor of the build quality and features.

The term "up to SEER 16.5" means there is at least one combination of furnace and condenser that achieves that rating. Most of the other combinations will be less. It is a marketing ploy. Don't fall for it. You need to get all model numbers so the actual performance rating can be verified.

Do you need a humidifier? If not then you can eliminate it and put the money towards a better AC model.

It is difficult to quote a price without seeing the installation. Post the price quote and you will get comments as to whether it is reasonable.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

There are no AHRI matches with the 4 ton XB series condensers that qualifies for the Fed Tax Credit. The XB series of condensers are significantly louder than the XR series models. Last time I will say this, you are being oversized on furnace. Nothing wrong with the media filter cabinet or humidifier. I would want the HW VP IAQ thermostat for two stage heating, dehumidify on demand feature, and ability to control auxiliary equipment like a humidifier without the need for a separate control.

What size condenser are you replacing?

IMO