Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctilley79

Replacing 20 year old Trane Heat Pump

ctilley79
10 years ago

One of our two heat pumps has a leak in the air handler coil. The unit is a 20 year old Trane 8 SEER 3 ton heat pump and air handler. We are going to replace the unit but need some suggestions. I am considering the Trane XR13 heat pump but I am open to other manufacturers. We live in South Central VA so our winters are fairly cool and our summers are hot and humid.

1. What air handler is the best match for the XR13?
2. What is the price difference between the XR13 and XR15?
3. Is the hyperion xr air handler worth the cost over the more basic XB4FW air handlers?
4. What can I expect for the total replacement cost of the old system?
5. Should I also replace the other identical heat pump?
6. Are there other manufacturers that I need to seriously consider?

Comments (8)

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

You do want the Hyperion air handler. It is a very well designed unit. Also, while I used to recommend the GAM5 air handler in many applications, Trane decided to discontinue using EEV's in the newer B revision (not sure why) and instead factory installs standard TXV's, so your best bet, in my opinion, is the TAM7 for best comfort and humidity control across all load conditions. I would personally suggest the TAM4 (which does have the EEV) with the XR13 (a common match) over the GAM5 if not the TAM7, but do strongly encourage the TAM7 for the variable speed blower. The XB14 is also a very nice unit. If possible, I recommend replacing the lineset. If not, proper flushing procedure applies and sizing must be correct as mentioned above.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Not necessarily disagreeing with Ryan but it should be pointed out you are not going to get the achievable efficiency numbers of the XR13 pairing with the TAM4 over the TAM5 air handler.

Even with that said and taking location into consideration, the correctly sized TAM7 var speed model is your best choice.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 13:46

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

True, the lower electricity consumption of the high-efficiency fixed-speed ECM blower in the GAM5 yields much better SEER/EER/HSPF compared to the standard PSC motor. Makes me wonder why the EEV went away in this good mid-range air handler choice. The EEV does a better job matching system capacity to the load conditions and is more precise & reliable compared to the older electromechanical TXV's in my opinion. Still, standard TXV's are not obsolete technology by any means, so not a "deal breaker." Probably too much information, but I enjoy the discussion. Still with Tiger on recommending the TAM7 regardless of which outdoor unit you select: XR13, XB14, XR15 or other.

• ctilley79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good deal. I appreciate the answers. What is the price difference between the air handlers mentioned? I'm assuming installation labor is equal among the different models, but how much is the TAM7, GAM5, and TAM4? At what point is there diminishing returns? I am going to be in this home for 10-15 years, and I do have a lot more renovations to do. I don't want to spend money to get features I don't need and or savings I will never realize.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

You should call a dealer to get your pricing.

In order of cost high going down...TAM7, GAM5, GAM4

You should review the AHRI performance/efficient numbers I posted on the XR13, the upgrade cost to the XR15, the suggestion on the XB14.

I personally want a HP system that has full BTUs for both cooling and heating
    In the three ton size, 15 SEER, 12.5 EER, 9 HSPF, and qualifies for Fed Tax Credit.

Can't say anymore.

IMO

• ctilley79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I decided to go with the Trane XB14 and TAM7. Getting another quote but my first quote was 4000 for everything, plus an additional 225 for a 12 gpm humidifier. I believe that is fairly reasonable. The tech mentioned that my installation is going to be a very easy swap out other than the 60+ feet of line that I am having replaced between the heat pump and air handler.

The only question I have is the the installer said that the XR13 was not compatible with the TAM7 variable speed. He included the GAM5 with that option. Are his facts correct?

I appreciate the input I've received. Thank you tigerdunes for your expertise.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

This is for a three ton system?

Your dealer is mistaken about the var speed TAM7 air handler and the XR13.
    Refer back to my first post with both the TAM7 and GAM5 XR13 systems. Certified by AhRI HP Directory.

Here is the XB14 system with the TAM7 var speed air handler.
    Qualifies for Fed Tax Credit.

4655768 Active Systems XB14 WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWB4036G1 *AM7A0B30H21 1165 36800 12.50 15.00 35200 9.00 21800 1 HRCU-A-CB 297 754 Yes

Nice system. I would want a 10 KW heat strip and Trane 803 thermostat or identical Mdl 8321 Honeywell. Accept no less.

What are you doing about return air filtration?

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 14:20