Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sealing basement air vents - will I damage my hvac?

Posted by SeaKoz (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 20:47

Hi Folks,

This is sort of a long setup:
I had the asbestos removed from my basement and now my air vents don't screw in anymore. The basement is going to be remodeled in 4 months, in the meantime, I've covered my air vents with plastic and duct tape. I've completely sealed off one vent and have significantly covered the other two (I've taped off the sides but not the top and bottom. The result has been great, my basement is now only a few degrees cooler than the rest of the house (as opposed to 10 degrees cooler).

My question:
Am I going to damage my HVAC system by sealing the basement vents like this? My assumption is that I'm just going to get more air on the main floor.

Relevant info (maybe?):
I have a Trane heat pump that was installed last year, the blower is the kind that always runs on very low and then goes higher when the house wants to cool down. The house is a 1956.

Thanks!

SeaKoz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sealing basement air vents - will I damage my hvac?

do you have dampers at the supply plenum
for these ducts?
it is much better to stop air flow there
than at the register.
sealing the supplies may increase the static
pressure of the duct system.

why not check for dampers and call the
installer for his/her opinion?

best of luck.

o
RE: Sealing basement air vents - will I damage my hvac?

I don't have accessible dampers, the ducting that supplies my basement also supplies my main floor and the ducting is all behind drywall. The ducting was installed 60 years ago.

Thanks!

SeaKoz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here