Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robar_gw

Humidity and hygrometer reading

robar
10 years ago

I've been told that 50% is a good indoor humidity during the summer months. That level (and lower) is achieved in the upstairs bedrooms, but on the first floor and basement......the level stays higher. For me to get to 54% or 55% humidity on the first I have to get the temperature down to 69 or 70 degrees.......what gives? Comments?

Comments (8)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

You have humidity infiltration.

You have to understand it, its location, and reasonable remediation options to reduce it.

Your home is on crawl space or slab?

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Basements with walls which are below grade are going to have a higher humidity level than the floors above grade. Some of that humidity is coming up through the floor to the first level.

The AC needs to run for long periods of time to dry out the basement and first floor. Have you tried using a dehumdifier in the basement? It may allow you to maintain the 50% humidity level without having the run the temperature down to 69 degrees.

• robar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The home has a basement....on a concrete slab.....with block walls. The home was built....1950? Even, now.....the temperature is comfortable.....71 or 72......feels okay......the a/c hasn't been running......but the humidity is around 65% on the first floor......it feels kind of muggy......see my problem.......the temp is good......how could I possibly run the a/c with the temp this low.......it would only run a few minutes......unless i set the thermostat at 65 degrees! Help!

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

Read carefully!! Use a dehumidifier in the basement!!

• robar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Almost forgot.....I am using a separate portable dehumidifier in the basement......it fills up each day.

• robar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I want to thank....you all.....for your very helpful advice/comments

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Are you able to keep up with emptying out the dehumidifier? Does the dehumidifier run constantly? It would be best to either hook up a drain or add a condensate pump. You may also need a bigger dehumidifier.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Make certain blower speed is no more than 400 CFMs/ton, possibly even one step lower. Also blower fan at thermostat should be set to auto, not fan on. Both should help dehumidification.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 13:02