Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acdecision

How are these bids?

ACdecision
10 years ago

I am in TX so AC is more important than heat. Winters are very mild, but summers are scorching.
Currently have a 2 ton AC for my upstair. It just died-leaked freon all out nothing is left at all. Thought since freon is changing to 410, it may be better to change the whole system. Here are the proposals:
Contractor 1 did load calculations and I was hoping to post the numbers here when they become available. He is recommending 3 ton. Actually abt 3 contractors did load calc and they all said 3 ton, but for some strange reasons, these guys are very secretive with the numbers. They say they will give me the values if I pick them(strange in TX):

CONTRACTOR1:
1. TRANE XR 17
Condenser: 4TTR7036A1000A
Coil : 4TXCC005CC3HCB
Furnace : TUD2C080A9V4VB
Supply and return plenum
Drain pan
Float switch
Gas flex
Gas stop
Mastic seal
Rex Rack 4 inch(filter size 20x20x4)
Filter drier
Disconnect box
N/S dumpers
Grills
T-Stat Focus
9 supply registers.

warranty: heat exchanger -lifetime
10/10/10 on compressor/parts/labor and 1 year maintenance agreement.

Total Price: 6500

2. TRANE XR 16 3 ton( SAME GUY AS ABOVE)
Condenser: 4TTR6036B1000A
Coil: 4TXCB004CC3HCB
Furnace: TUD1C080A9H41B
With all the above bells and whistles and warranty conditions.
TOTAL PRICE 5283
3.TRANE XR 16 3 ton( SAME GUY AS ABOVE)
Condenser: 4TTR6036B1000A
Coil: 4TXCB004CC3HCB
Furnace: XV80 no mdl # yet
With all the above bells and whistles and warranty conditions.
TOTAL PRICE $5948

4.Different contractor
4TTR6036A1000A -Condenser
4TXCB036BC3HCA- Coil
and TUDB080A9V3VB-Furnace
TCONT802AS32DA-thermostat
1-plenum
flush linesets
1-2 inch filter box
1 electrical disconnect box
1 year labor warranty
Total price $6200

Both contractors will flush the present linesets and re-use

Qns: Are these systems properly matched?
Are these prices reasonable?
After reading a lot on this site(really appreciate your input guys), I am now trying to select a system that gives me the best bang for the buck. Any input will be helpful.

I don't know if there is tangible difference between option 1 and 3 if proper tstat is used. How abt option 2? It is appealing based on pricing

Comments (4)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What size living area?

By moving up in size from a 2 ton condenser to a 3 ton, that is an increase of 50%. Has any dealer bothered to check your ductwork system to see if it is sized properly for additional CFMs?

Linesets must be sized correctly. It is highly unlikely that existing lineset would be correct size for larger AC condenser?

Do you currently have adequate return (s)?

I prefer the HW VP IAQ stat that is a true two stage thermostat plus has dehumidify on demand feature.

I want a system that qualifies for Fed Tax Credit.

I want a 4-5 " pleated filter media cabinet.

IMO

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

I've posted a couple more comments to your original thread. The prime concern right now, as TD mentioned above, is ductwork sizing with most dealers wanting to move up to 3 tons for an 1100 sqft upstairs. Have you seen the actual load calculation results? Sometimes dealers will not reveal their results until you sign a contract, but knowing your actual calculated heat gain (both latent and sensible btu's) aids in system selection. If falling between 2 and 3 tons, with 2-stage systems only coming in full ton sizes, most do tend to upsize. Hence the need to ensure ductwork (both return and supply) is adequate to support the airflow.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 18:49

• ACdecision
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tigerdunes and Ryan,
    The living space is 1120 sqft, but the cooling area is abt 1350-1450 sqft according to calculations done by contractors.

Most of the contractors have just told me I have enough ducts for 4 ton system. I will be talking to one contractor who did load calculations to find out the real numbers. I have one return in the hallway and they all told me it is good for a 4 ton system.
    Is a Rex rack a good product? Is it a perfect fit with the Trane furnace? I figured out that the furnace listed is oversized so as to meet the Tax credit EER value and SEER. I really do not know if it makes sense to go with a 2 step condenser and 2 stage oversized furnace just to get $300 tax credit. I am thinking of going XR15 with 2 stage 60000 BTU furnace or XR15 with XT80 furnace . If the actual tonnage per load calculation says 3 tons, I may still want to go with 2.5 tons.

I am also getting quotes for American Std, hoping they will be cheaper than Trane. What is the american std version of XR15? Is it Gold XI or Gold SI?

At

• ACdecision
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok. I did talk to one of the contractors and she said the Return will be increased for the increased CFMs.
    What is the purpose of dampers? What benefit do they bring?

Thanks

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks