Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrier geothermal

Posted by lov_mkitchen (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 20:20

My Ammana heat pump took a dump. I'm going to replace with geothermal. I'm looking at this one,

Carrier GT-PX Geothermal Heat Pump

Models: 50YDV, 50YDH, 50YDD

Can anyone give me a ball park estimate for it? I'm guessing 3 ton for 1500 sq. ft. old house. I don't need an accurate number, just how many thousands do you think so I don't freak out when he tells me the estimate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrier geothermal now waterfurnace

I got my estimate and I'm breathing regularly now; stomach is still rolling but I expect that will settle down in a couple of weeks.

I'm getting a waterfurnace; my brain stopped participating right after she said the whole install will be $16,931.

My present Ammana heat pump was new April 2008. I don't know when it died, didn't work when I wanted the a/c last week. I've put so much money into it, I am done. It was a lemon requiring expensive repairs at least twice a year from the time it was 6 months old. Ammna didn't cover anything, original installer sold the business and the new people wouldn't even talk to me.

o
RE: Carrier geothermal

thats a low price for geo-thermal. Does that include the ground loops? Do you have plenty of land? What part of the country are you in? I"m sure others on this website would be getting geo installed for that price.

o

I agree, price sounds too good to be true. Proceed with caution!

SR

o

Yes, I have enough land for the loop; they put it in today. I'm in Iowa. Winters are long and cold but summers are becomming hotter and hotter every year for longer periods of time. We also have high humidity, air you can wear.

My quote was for Waterfurnace but the unit waiting to be installed is a Tetco geothermal. I don't know if the guy grabbed the wrong one or if my dealer changed his mind or what. I had to find a new repair person for the broken down Amana. I have a different local guy. I know he ate service calls and parts not to mention time on the phone with Amana so I know he will be choosing a unit that will cut down on our meetings! How much of a price difference is there between WaterFurnace and Tetco? And if anyone in north Iowa is looking for a deal like mine I'd be happy to give contact info.

o

I would NOT accept Tetco as a substitute for a Waterfurnace!

Why the Bait & Switch?

IMPO

SR

o

Not exactly a bait and switch. It's been 100 degrees F. here for 8 days. He had the Tetco on hand. He'd have to order a Waterfurnace. I'm not thrilled either but I'm almost melted and can't wait for something else. I hope the Telco is cheaper even if just a little bit. I had not planned on such an expendature. The heat pump was supposed to be my saviour so I could retire. It wasn't. I hope it doesn't turn out to be another installment of my retirement nightmare.

o

Why are you getting a Geothermal unit? Is it for monetary or environmental reasons?

Personally, I think you should get a window unit to cool down your bedroom or living space and take your time researching the installer and equipment. A $20k purchase is not something to rush into...

o

My present Amana heat pump was new April 2008. I don't know when it died, didn't work when I wanted the a/c last week. I've put so much money into it, I am done. It was a lemon requiring expensive repairs at least twice a year from the time it was 6 months old. Amana didn't cover anything, original installer sold the business and the new people wouldn't even talk to me.

I have enough land for the loop; they put it in yesterday. I'm in Iowa. Winters are long and cold but summers are becoming hotter and hotter every year for longer periods of time. We also have high humidity, air you can wear.

Four years ago I had to find a repair person for the broken down Amana. I know the local dealer I have now ate service calls and parts not to mention time on the phone with Amana so I know he will be choosing a unit that will cut down on our meetings!

It's been 100 degrees F. here for 8 days. He had the Tetco on hand. He'd have to order a Waterfurnace. I hope the Telco is cheaper even if just a little bit. I had not planned on such an expendature. The heat pump was supposed to be my savior so I could retire. It wasn't.

I had already decided to go geothermal when it died again, I just didn't expect it to be so soon. I thought I had 4 months before the next problem but the compressor went out on it. That is the second one that's bit the dust in four years and one month. The other one went in the winter with snow up to here. I don’t run the a/c all summer, only when there are 2 days in a row when it’s so hot you can’t breathe so I have no idea when it decided to die. It didn’t work when I needed it.

As I’ve said before, the Amana heat pump was a lemon and Amana told me tough luck. The dealer I’m working with now made MAJOR repairs on it at least twice a year and service calls many additional times a year. He’s dealt with Amana over it and got some satisfaction. He is going to go up against them over it again. If he gets anything for either or both of us I’ll be happier. Amana was determined not to be of any help at all. I know for sure he’s eaten parts expense, service calls and I wouldn’t even be able to guess how much time trying to get Amana to chip in a few bucks over the years. When I asked last year for that year’s total, his office person said a thousand dollars will cover it. He’s still working on it for you. Maybe Amana will send a check. A few months later I had a $900 credit on my bill and a check enclosed.

His choice of Tetco is immaterial. He knows if anything goes wrong I will be on the phone. After putting up with me for the past 4 years I am sure he isn’t looking forward to living that over again. Every service person who comes here tells me what he fixed the last time he was here. It’s like listening to war stories. I was always at work when they were here before but I got to meet some of them since I retired.

So geothermal is in. I’ve gone from 88 degrees to 81 degrees in 4 hours. Two story 120+ year old house. So far it’s still running and the thermostat is not flashing. I’m used to listening and checking the thermostat every few minutes; holding my hand in front of the register. The next exciting thing will be winter to see if it blows cold air or if it’s warm. Most people open their registers all the way in winter. I had to close a couple so I didn’t freeze when I took a shower. The deed is done. As soon as I get the bill I’ll fill out the loan papers and the rebate papers and start paying. It will be a relief to know that I’ll have cool air when I want it and warm air when I want it and no calls for service other than the usual twice a year clean up. As hot as the house was for so many days I think the cool down was good. It’s even cool up stairs. I know I need more insulation in the attic and it will get done this year for sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Geothermal Ratings

o

Well it sounds like its working good if it dropped the house from 88 to 81 in 4 hours. Hopefully you will have a long lasting reliable system.

Keep us updated. Thats a great price for the entire system.

o
RE: TetCo geothermal

Two weeks later and it's still working great. I'm excited. I really don't know what to expect for a light bill for this month. Can't be good no matter what kind of a/c I ran! The next 8 days are going to be 100� so I probably won't shut it off any time soon.

With this drought predicted to go into November, what will that do to my loop? It's bound to dry out even 12 feed down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here