Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basic hvac with low AC noise?

Posted by hazel2011 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 19:55

We are trying to put in a new hvac unit in our 1400 sq ft. one level single family house. Being as we are in northern california - bay area, our requirements are pretty basic. Heating is used for only a few months of the year and cooling in July-August. Not much of that this year!

Our biggest requirement is a low noise ac unit as it will be right outside our bedrooms and in our backyard.

What would the experts suggest in terms of brands/models given that we are very budget conscious at this point?

We have gotten quotes from three contractors and they are in the 10 to 15K range. The units that they are suggesting don't sound too good, more like entry level models from Payne, bryant, carrier or york. I feel lost when talking to the contractors so wanted to get some models from you that I can do some research before I talk to the contractors.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basic hvac with low AC noise?

Do you have any opinion about these carrier ones? This is the latest proposal we have received:

Carrier 24ACC6, Carrier 24APA5

o

The York midgrade models have a compressor jacket and are very quiet. They have the nicely designed top which blows the air off quietly. I would consider York or one of their sister brands (coleman, luxaire).

So how much does electricity cost in Northern California per KW total?

o

The Carrier Performance 24APA5 2 ton condenser has a noise rating of 66dBA. The Carrier Comfort 24ACC6 2 ton condenser is rated at 74dBA. An 8dBA difference is pretty significant to the human ear.

I am going to assume a 2 ton condenser is the right size for you. The contractor should determine this by doing a load analysis.

If sound is important to you then consider paying a little more for the Performance condenser.

o

Thanks. We are going with the 24APA5. The contractor suggested the 3 ton. He did say this is the initial estimate and he was going to spend some time at the house before giving the final recommendation. 3 ton is noisier than the 2 ton but seems to be lower as compared to the other 3 ton (that we can afford!). I agree that 66 to 74 is significant increase.

I heard the compressor blankets (is jacket the same?) only reduce the level by 2db. I realize that 2 db is nothing to laugh at..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here