Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can A/C units pass mold and other toxic things

Posted by RobbZee (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 19:05

I have terrible allergy problems lately and I wonder if the air conditioner is the culprit. Can air conditioner units get moldy inside? How would you check? There is condensation right so there could be that possibility?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can A/C units pass mold and other toxic things

The mold is always a possibility wherever there is moisture. You could start by checking the coil. Look for black mold spores.

o

A properly-installed and maintained HVAC system should not be growing mold, but there are always problems that crop up. Look in your ducts and open up your air handler and look in there. Take pictures and report back.

You might find this book useful:

My House Is Killing Me!: The Home Guide for Families with Allergies and Asthma

Jeffrey C. May

o

also Healty House by John Bower.

anywhere you have moisutre and a food source..
like condensation and dirt..you have potential
for mold.

look inside ahu, inside return, and inside
ducts by removing supply grills.
lots of time mold will grow at duct take offs
at the plenum where the take offs are not mastic
sealed. dirty air is pulled in, condensation forms
and mold will grow inside plenum and ducts near
plenums. the mold will spread as far inside the ducts
as the moisture and food source reaches.

best of luck.

o

Great tips! I took a look in the ducts and did not see anything. I think I will have them cleaned though. I don't see anything blowing out when the A/C is on. My allergy problems could be coming from elsewhere but I thought I would ask.

o

Robin, if you have not been allergy tested, you probably should do it. Beyond making sure that your "home hygiene" is stringent, that is the most important thing. You can't approach a problem without defining it.

Duct cleaning is overrated. You really need to have a look inside the air handler at the AC coil and drip pan.

o

"Look for black mold spores."

Be sure you use a microscope.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here