Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caseyj_gw

Question?

caseyj
11 years ago

I was about to install a 95% furnace with A/C. My location would be where my existing furnace is now (20 yrs. old) and the installer said that I would have to have a drip pan installed. Also is I would have to provide a drain.

My home is a slab, the furnace would be in the breeze way and there is no drain there. I asked if I couldn't just run it through the wall and have it drain outside but he said no, it has to go into a drain.

Is there any solution to this or do I have to stay with and 80% efficiency which does not require a drain? Thanks to all responses. Must be a solution to this.

Comments (7)

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

Drain must be where the condensate from the furnace is not subject to freeze. So it can't drain outside.

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Why can't you use a condensate pump and pipe it to the nearest drain?

• alan_s_thefirst
    11 years ago

If it's in a breezeway I assume ducts run through the attic. If you use a condensate pump, it can pump uphill into the attic, via a VERY WELL insulated pipe, then down a convenient wall and into a drain, say a laundry or something (not a sink directly of course, but perhaps you could change the trap into a kitchen-sink type with the knockout for a dishwasher, and connect it to that.

You would want an overflow alarm at the drip tray and/or some sort of pump protection/redundancy.

• caseyj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good ideas! I wasn't aware that there was such a pump. I assume that the hose would be around 3/8 to 1/2" and as mentioned it would have to be installed above a trap.

I'm trying to capitalize on the utility companies rebate, but it is slowly dwindling away with all the extras it would take to go to 95%.

Would the pump have to go under the furnace and sit on the pan? I've never seen this set-up. Thanks to all.

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Here is a link to the condensate pump I have. The pump sits on the floor next the the furnace. There are knockout holes at each corner where a 0.5 inch PVC pipe can be connected from the condensate drain on the furnace. The contractor should install an overflow switch to the condensate drain on the coil and wire it to the furnace. In the event the drain is blocked, the switch will activate and shut down the furnace. The condensate pump also has an alarm connection in case it fails.

You shouldn't need a drain pan, but it would not hurt to have it as further back up to catch any water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diversitech condensate pump

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

How do you expect to keep the reservoir in the pump from freezing?

• caseyj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Mike! This is a big help. I don't know why my contractor didn't mentioned this. I already cancelled my order but this will give me more time to research and see what else is out there. I'd like to get it off the breeze-way and build a Mechanical Room.