Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frozen A/C and no air

Posted by Firestar502 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 16:39

Hi everyone!

Hoping I can get an answer to this. The fan on the A/C unit is running (I can see it spin just like the other units). The weird thing is that there is no air coming inside my 3 floor townhome. I checked the air-filter and to my surprise, the grill is frozen solid! I've done some reading on-line and I've defrosted it by letting it sit (A/C turned off) - see picture. I thought the problem was solved after totally defrosting it (and then some) but when I turned it on, to my dismay, STILL no air coming into the unit. I'm in Texas and it's HOT!

Can anyone help? Would really appreciate any advice
Joseph

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frozen A/C and no air

This is usually an indication of low refridgerant level. Time for a service. To clear the airhandler coil of ice, turn the unit off an leave the fan running on manual until ice clears. You may get some cooling back until service arrives.

o

I had a situation on a Lennox system some years ago. Variable-speed ECM blower motor, it went wonky and was running backwards, thus no airflow.

o

It sounds like to me that you have no air flow, or bad air flow quality. You are going to want someone to come take a look at it. If it keeps freezing then you are not getting the right air flow. Perhaps you need it cleaned out.

o

By the look of the frost pattern on the coil, it's more than likely low on refrigerant or possibly a restricted expansion valve.

There are a variety of other reasons:

37 year HVAC veteran

Here is a link that might be useful: How to fix air conditioer that freezes up

o

Great link! I can't imagine it would be undersize ductwork, it just started freezing. Have you checked the filter? When was the last time you had the A/C unit serviced? Once a year is the trick. If you recently did they would have caught a clogged filter. I would call your local HVAC company and tell them what is going on. You don't want to do more damage to the unit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here