Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window unit vs. Central air

Posted by harryvetch (harryvetch@aol.com) on
Wed, Jul 25, 07 at 16:38

I'm sure this has been covered, and I apologize to re-hash this.....But

My question is....what is the comparison in electrical use between a window unit (let's say 6000BTU) vs. that of a central unit (no idea of BTUs)?

If you want only to cool a bedroom overnight, is it better to run the 6000BTU unit or central air?

Thanks,
Harry V

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window unit vs. Central air

6000BTU

o

Harry:

The smallest central air unit is 1.5 tons (18,000 btu/hr). The 6000 btu unit would be much cheaper to run to cool a bedroom only. If you run a central air unit, you are cooling every room that has a supply vent. The newer window units are very energy efficient compared to ones from a few years ago.

o

We do this every night in the bedroom with a 6000 BTU GE unit. It uses about 3.5 kilowatts per night (11 hours run). And this is at a temperature of 71. The central unit would be far more expensive. That's why we do this.

o

I installed central AC 2 years back and started to ask the same question after a few $150 July electric bills. I found a really cool cost and usage calculator at www.energystar.gov. Apparently, A 7000 BTU room AC in a 400 pk hr zone (SE Michigan) costs $668/yr to run at $.1644/kWh. A 1.5 ton cental AC unit (bigenough for a 1500 sq ft, 1.5 story home)costs $243/yr. This didn't make sense to me. Afterall, I never had $150 bills when I used the window unit. Then I remembered 2 really important facts. One, I rarely used the window unit because I preferred to keep the window available for outdoor air and because to room unit was so noisy. Second, electricity prices have jumped a lot in the recent past and are probably a lot higher than when I used the window unit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Savings Calculator

o

WHOOPS! Caught a serious error! I was reading the lifetime cost for the window unit, not the annual cost. The corrected stmt would be. A 8000 BTU room AC in a 400 pk hr zone (SE Michigan) costs $37/yr to run at $.1644/kWh. A 1.5 ton cental AC unit (bigenough for a 1500 sq ft, 1.5 story home)costs $243/yr. We had a few hot streaks this summer, so I will probably spend about $300 on summer electricity. I only put the central AC on for a hot streak. Otherwise, I leave it off. I suppose that's the convenience cooling only 1 room; it's not a huge money proposition to use the AC.

Here is a link that might be useful: Savings Calculator

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here