Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grullablue

freon vs. puron

grullablue
12 years ago

Our central air is not working. Last year at this time it quit, and turned out we needed freon. Refilled, tuned up, and was good to go. Now, same thing is going on, ices up (the coil, is it?) but no cold air, and it's insanely hot in here. My repairman hasn't been out yet (tomorrow) but I talked to him Friday, and he suspects we have a leak somewhere, and no more freon, or low. That's when I learned they've switched to a new product, puron.

Am I understanding correctly, that if this is the problem, which we're sure it is, that we would have to buy a new unit? Can you fill a unit that previously used freon with puron? Our unit is 10 years old. This is surely not an expense we can do very easily right now....but, our house, with no trees to block the sun, gets way too insanely hot without air. And, no windows suitable for a window a/c. We have the crank type windows, not the sliding up/down windows. Ugh.

I guess I had hoped it would be easy enough to just find the leak, fix it, and fill the unit with puron instead of freon........but I'm assuming that is not an option? Until I talked to him briefly on the phone, I didn't even know freon wasn't sold any longer.

Angie

Comments (2)