Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boyznme_gw

Trane vs Carrier Heat Pump - HELP!

boyznme
13 years ago

Help me decide on which one:

Trane XR15 Heat Pump with 4TEE3C10 air handler and a TCON-803 programable thermostat and clean effects filter.

Or

Carrier Performance 16 two stage Heat Pump 25HPA660 with a FV4006 air handler and a honeywell thermostat and air purifier filter.

I live in Florida and the A/C is always on. Let me know if you have any preferences as to which company. Obviously, Carrier is quoting higher about $1500 more.

Is it worth the extra money to go with them.

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

boyz

I assume the Trane is a 5 ton unit as well. so here are the numbers on each system.

3936532 Active Systems XR15 WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWR5061E1 4TEE3C10A1 58000 12.50 15.00 54000 8.50 35000

3496011 Active Systems PERFORMANCE 16 PURON HP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25HPA660A30 FV4CNB006 56500 12.60 16.00 59000 9.50 36600

The Carrier has better efficiency numbers, especially in heating which means little because of your location.

price includes new lineset? it should.

You have been quoted the wrong thermostat on both systems.

with the Trane, you have their relatively new communicating air handler. It must have the XL900 thermostat to take advantage of the air handler's capability.

with the Carrier system, you want the Carrier thermidistat for best humidity control.

I would not buy either system without these changes.

dblcheck the warranty on each system. either should do a good job and I suppose price and dealer confidence to be the deciding factors.

what size heat strip was quoted?

IMO

• ryanhughes
    13 years ago

Tiger, I was recently informed by another pro over at hvac-talk that with heat pumps, the communicating air handler can only be run in a standard 24v mode, which means no communicating features with the 900 tstat. I'd look into this.

The 4TWR5061E1 may be a 2-stage unit as well. I can't find any info on it, but I read that Trane is going to update the 5 ton unit in the XR15 line to be a 2-stage unit.

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

ryan

I appreciate the update. I suppose my question to you would be what's the point of this new air handler then with or without the XL900 stat. It was my understanding that this was a matched pair. Kind of like purchasing a nice Infinity furnace without the Infinity controller. don't you lose some capability?

IMO

• ryanhughes
    13 years ago

Tiger,

That was exactly my question. I wonder if Trane is going to make the communicating air handlers the new standard model. Here's where I got this info below. Take a look at post number 10 and below.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=7062352

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

Ryan

I did see that thread. I think I would want to see confirmation of that last post. my question again would be what's the point of the communicating air handler.

something I am missing here. I hope this is not more of Trane nonsense, ie more marketing than beef/improvement.

TD

• boyznme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tigerdunes,
    Heat strip is 10k

why is it necessary for a new lineset vs purging the existing copper lines?

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

IMHO: sizing of the lines. And cleanliness.

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

boyznme

correct size of lineset is key. then check condition of linset. I am not opposed to flushing linesets for a new system if size is correct(not close), condition of lineset is inspected, and correct flushing technique is performed.

but I always prefer new lineset.

IMO

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!