Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coachgt1

Suggestions for upstairs AC/Air Handler replacement

coachgt1
10 years ago

We are having issues with a 2 Ton AC/Air Handler Unit. The house has zoned AC with a separate unit and gas heat pump in the basement. The unit for the upstairs is the problem. We have a freon leak and it could be in the evaporator coils. I've been told I would be better off replacing the outside compressor and the unit in the attic rather than replacing just the evaporator coils.

So my question is, what are some of the things I need to look for/ask when bringing people in for quotes? This unit is just for the upstairs and provides the AC and the forced air heat for the second floor. Assuming the 2 Ton unit is sized correctly, what kind of price range should I expect to see. I want to make sure I'm not being undersold or overcharged.

This is my first time on this site so if I've asked the question in the wrong place or incorrectly please let me know.

Thank you.

Comments (7)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What is location?

Prices vary depending on many factors including location and whether you live in a competitive marketplace. Generally I use $2500/ton for a decent system. Special installation hurdles can add to price.

If you are replacing a HP condenser with air handler in the attic, here is my general spec sheet.

New Heat Pump System
    both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
    best matching VS air handler
    full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
    R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
    scroll compressor preferred
    electronic demand defrost preferred
    thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
    staged backup heat strips
    new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset
    10 yr warranty on parts and compressor

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

My personal recommendation is Trane/AmStd, Rudd/Rheem, and Carrier/Bryant.

Depending on your location, I would not purchase a new system that did not have electronic demand defrost.

IMO

• coachgt1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the quick response. That is good information that I would not have known to look for. I understand the basics but that's about it.

We are in Southwest Virginia so I'm not sure on the market in this area. The house is only 11 years old so I think the ductwork should be good and the unit in the attic is pretty easy to get to.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

You are all electric?

Close to Roanoke?

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 16:37

• coachgt1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep close to Roanoke. We are gas down stairs but everything else is electric. Any suggestions on who to contact for quotes?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I prefer authorized dealers. Usually this is indicated on their website.

Start with friends, neighbors, or colleagues at work for suggested dealers. And there is always Angie's List.

That would be my starting place.

Let me know if I can help.

Good Luck.
    IMO

• coachgt1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks you've been a big help. I'll post back when I get some quotes.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

2 suggestions both Trane...same available from sister company AmStd dealer...

Would recommend a 7.5 KW heat strip...

5020846 Active Systems XR15 WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWR5024G1 GAM5A0B30M21 675 23800 12.50 15.00 21400 9.00 13300 1 HRCU-A-CB 192 431 Yes

5020725 Active Systems XR15 WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWR5024G1 *AM7A0B30H21 835 24000 12.50 15.00 22600 9.00 13400 1 HRCU-A-CB Yes 194 538 Yes

Both qualify for Fed Tax Credit.

IMO

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company