Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
furnace vent vs. intake location

Posted by skunkerwunker (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 24, 10 at 15:55

My Carrier HVAC unit was installed by a local factory authorized company 6 years ago. I recently realized that they installed the sidewall exhaust vent 12" below the intake. Everything I can find in the manual (and common sense) tells me this is wrong as the exhaust will rise directly up into the intake. Is this ever correct? Should I expect my unit to fail prematurely from corrosion? If that is the case should I expect the company to remedy this and adjust the warranty?

My second question (which led me to discover this) is that I need to relocate the AC outside unit so I can build a deck. The best place for it is right in front of the furnace vent. Is this OK as long as I cover the unit during the heating season to prevent the furnace exhaust from corroding it?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: furnace vent vs. intake location

1) The flue gas vent termination should be higher then the combustion air inlet.
2) I would always ask for concentric vent kit.
3) >If that is the case should I expect the company to remedy this and adjust the warranty?
Ask them if they are willing to fix it. As far as adjusting warranty - doubt it.
4) Moving A/C is not cheap. Still 12" clearance will be needed

o
RE: furnace vent vs. intake location

Thanks for your reply. More questions:

So for 6 years now my "professionally" installed system has been breathing in its own corrosive exhaust. Just how bad is this and has anyone seen failures due to this? I did not go with the low ball quote. I went with a major heavily advertised company in our area because I don't know much about HVAC. I had never heard of a concentric vent kit.

I know it won't be cheap to move - I already have quotes. Are you saying that 12" is far enough away that the exhaust will not harm the unit? Is it OK to cover it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here