Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ftmiamibeach

Lennox vs. Rheem/Ruud

ftmiamibeach
16 years ago

I am renovating an 800sf condo in South Florida and one of the things I am changing is the A/C system.

The HVAC contractor had recommended a Lennox 13ACD-024 unit, but after doing some research I am questioning his decision.

I am on the 4th floor of a 4-story building, and the units go on the roof. First issue is that the trap door to access the roof is only about 23"x29" which means all the Lennox units (smallest size is 24"x24") won't fit through it. The only brand that I've found that would fit without a problem is Rheem/Ruud (19"x28").

Second issue is that I think I would rather get a system that uses R410A instead of R22, and the Lennox 13ACD uses R22. The Lennox alternatives are the 13ACX and 14ACX, but these are also 24"x24".

I think I would rather go with Rheem/Ruud to keep the installation simple. From reading the dimension specs from their website, it seems like I have a choice between these models:

RAND-024 (13 SEER R-22)

RANL-024 (13 SEER R-410A)

RAPL-024 (14 SEER R-410A)

RANL-024JEZ (13 SEER R-410A)

RAPL-024JEZ (14 SEER R-410A)

So here are my questions:

1. Is it worth going through the extra hassle of getting a Lennox unit on my roof?

2. Is there any difference between the Rheem and Ruud models? They seem completely identical to me.

3. Would I need to replace the copper pipes if I go with an R-410A model?

4. Does anyone have experience with the Rheem "Comfort Control System" (Models ending in -JEZ). According to their website, it provides: On-board diagnostics, fault recall, active protection and increased dependability. It sounds to me like this could be just marketing with no real benefit to me.

Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (3)