Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remove anti-vermin wire from kitchen vent?

Posted by alan_s_thefirst (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 15:51

Just venting my kitchen fan to the outside...the vent I've chosen has a damper, but also has a vermin guard - the half-inch square wire on it as well.

I'm inclined to remove it to reduce the danger of dust and grease build-up....it's aluminum siding and well over 10 feet/3m in the air, so I don't consider mice a big issue. I guess I could see how it goes with the wire in, but the house is going to be rented out >1 yr so I won't be able to keep a close watch on it...

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remove anti-vermin wire from kitchen vent?

Where I live I find birds like to build nests inside of exhaust vents. If you don't have this problem then you should be OK.

o

Interesting point, I hadn't thought of that. It turns downwards and could conceivably hold a small bird's nest...

o

Birds can open the typical dryer 'flapper' style vent without much trouble.
They then build a nest in the duct.

o

Ok, you've convinced me. This is for the kitchen vent, but same deal I guess.

o

One thought, though, regard dryer vents which I've been debating...I see lots of models with removable plastic cages, so they should be relatively easy to clean, but what's the trade-off regarding prevention of birds nesting (good) vs people not remembering to clean the cages, which are going to result in a quicker buildup of lint (bad) - in other words, if you can't guarantee a regular clean of the cages, might you be better off leaving them off?

o

"if you can't guarantee a regular clean of the cages, might you be better off leaving them off?"

Right up to the birds nesting and blocking the line that way.

Houses require maintenance.
If you do no t want to do anything rent.

The landlord adds it to your rent so you do not have to do anything.

I had a tenant once that did not want to have to mow the law on a SF rental.
I said it could be covered by raising the rent.

They decided it was worth mowing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here