Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broken Carrier A/C-Recs on Replacing Coil or Upgrading

Posted by Missy_P (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 15:49

Hello -
I have been trying to make heads/tails of recommendations I've received on fixing my broken Carrier A/C. The unit is 10 years old -- I believe it's a 5-ton model CD5AXA0600024AAAA. The unit's been leaking for 2+ years and finally diganosed leak in coil. We have a 4500 sf split level -- with some inefficiencies in a couple rooms (e.g., bedroom converted from attic space and addition)

-Should I have another coil-only installed -- just replace same model coil, leave condenser? Have bids b/w 1600 and 2500 to do this. One comes with a 2 year parts and labor warranty; not sure about others. Still freeon; not ideal, but buys us some time (maybe).

-Alternatively, should I go with a update/ replacement of both coil, condenser and pipes? To R410 Refrigerant. Have bids for
**Bryant Puron Plus SEER 14 for $5,800 (one year labor; 10 year parts)
**Carrier 17 Infinity for $7100 (single stage) and $7400 (two speed) with 10 year parts and labor. They also offered a basic model for about $5300 but called it "builder grade"

Alternatively again, two people gave me recs to replace the AC AND the furnace to gain efficiencies in room temps, etc. for b/w 11K and 14K but this really seems like overkill.

Q: If we simply replace the coil are we throwing good money after bad? What if a leak develops in condenser (10 years old)?

Q: If we replace and upgrade the A/C -- should we go more "top of the line" with variable speed that we can have in the future when we eventually replace furnace? Or is this a waste too?

Any advice anyone can offer from experience would be great--just looking for some ways to make sense of it all.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broken Carrier A/C-Recs on Replacing Coil or Upgrading

From a purely cost standpoint, I think it is a poor idea of replacing a bad evap coil on a 10 yr old condenser.

Guess what, after you replace the coil, you still have a 10 yr old AC system.

IMO

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here