Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window Air Conditioners

Posted by MStar (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 15:09

I just installed one for the first time. Before I bought it, I thought, how do you keep burglers out? I'm still wondering.
I guess this is a good reason to get a portable AC. Which I had bought, but it was SO heavy and bulky(despite having wheels). So I returned it. Then the other day Frys had one that was much slimmer. Next time I'll get a portable.
But back to my dilemma: I mean, a burgler can just slash the 'curtain' thing that 'seals up' the window on either side of the AC. Feedback?? thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window Air Conditioners

Your analysis is correct which is why lots of people install bars/cages around window AC units.

Note that portables with one hose are a very poor investment. They are very inefficient compared to two-hose models.

o

On the window A/Cs that I have owned, the window was "locked" in position so that it could not be raised (allowing the unit to fall out) without unscrewing a clip.

A burglar that slashes the "curtain thing" would have to lift the unit out of the raised window to gain access.

With no window, the burglar can throw a few pieces of duct tape across the glass pane and smash the window.

Just some thoughts.

o

By screwing the upper sash to the lower and making sure the screws holding the AC unit are more than 3/4 inch long.

o

Put unit on 2nd floor window and hope burglar does not have ladder.

o

Not something I ever thought about. I guess I live in a very safe place (says everyone). I've never seen any house with cages around their A/C unit. All of our window units are on the 2nd floor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here