for some reason my post with this link doesn't
show up.
so trying again.

I often write in my posts about 30% duct/return
leakage, based on my experience & testing of
new & existing duct systems.
this is a very comprehensive post about just
that.

http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog-building-science-HERS-BPI/bid/76157/The-Sucking-and-the-Blowing-A-Lesson-in-Duct-Leakage?utm_source=EV+News+%2336+20140719&utm_campaign=NftF-%2336&utm_medium=email

really good blog for those who like to learn
how houses work. subscribe and/or read more
postings by clicking on titles of postings to
right of page.

take care.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: duct & return leakage

As well, I too write about this and suggest that folks google "DOE duct leakage" and read for a while. When you think about it, it is stunning that the HVAC trade has done such a poor job in installing systems. The means of proper sealing have been known and available for a very long time. It is so much easier to do at the time of installation because you have unrestricted access. Duct repair is very expensive and difficult work, due primarily to the position of both the person doing it and the position of the connection.

This puts all unitary equipment manuf (Carrier, York, Lennox, Trane, etc) in a very difficult position. They can put all the technology they want into their equipment. They just can't deliver it. Between their technology and your comfort is as the DOE studies have shown an 18-42% leakage rate. So, ER, your 30% average is the number I use as well.

I have gone "Net to the Space" in my heating and cooling system. I pulled the whole ducted system out and took it to the dump and installed Rinnai Energysaver gas DV wall furnaces and mini-split heat pumps. I gained enormous storage space and better comfort at substantial operating savings. Thanks for that link!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here