Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old Apartments in Austin, TX

Posted by dscar (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 15:00

I'm in a 1st floor 2 bedroom apartment now, and have found that central air set at 77 provides a comfortable environment in the living kitchen, dining and 2nd bedroom.

Unfortunately, my master bedroom is noticeably warmer, regardless, meaning turning the unit down to 74ish. I have a daughter with really bad alergies, so warm means runny nose, less sleep, etc. I'm currently use fans at the master br door to circulate air from main portion of apt into that room, and an old shop trick with a quality 3m 20x20 filter strapped to a box fan to ensure apartment air is constantly filtered. This renders the box fan very inefficient, but does help constantly filter dust, dander, etc., and rotate it in the direction we are in. I'll be here a while, since my wife has decided to divorce me, so I'm trying to make sure I have the best return on my investment, while cutting cost as significantly as possible. LCD TV and a laptop in the master that generate heat, but even with these devices off, it's so warm in the master bedroom. I'm trying to find the best place to spend my money. I thought I'd start with programmable thermostat and maybe even putting the fans on timers.

would a window unit or portable a/c unit be a viable option, or would it take too long to recoup the investment?
Thanks, Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old Apartments in Austin, TX

Portables are costly and inefficient. The two-hose models are better than one-hose. Window units have become very inexpensive. In a humid environment, be sure to get one that can be set to cycle the fan with the compressor rather than run constantly.

No filter can compete with elbow grease to clean the apartment for keeping dander and dust down, though I realize this is more difficult with older construction.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here