Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tippyp

Trane (XR15 vs XL16i)

tippyp
13 years ago

My home is a single story ranch with approximately 1390 sq ft and no trees around it. The home was built in 1974. I have good insulation in the walls and in the attic. No insulation in the floor. I live in Raleigh/Durham, NC. My existing Split System Heat Pump is over 20 years old and beginning to fail on me. Old Betsy has really served us well.

I had an HVAC representative come by and he recommended the Trane Brand in two possible configurations.

Solution One:

Trane Air Handler (4TEE3F39)

Trane XR15 2.5 Ton Heat Pump (4TWR5030)

Solution Two:

Trane Air Handler (4TEE3F39)

Trane XL16i 3.0 Ton Heat Pump (4TWX6036)

(I need to get a Trane Thermostat)

The representative said that the XR15 2.5 Ton unit would be sufficient for my home. But I was concerned about very hot/humid days in the summer and having friends/family over for dinner/parties, etc. For example, last Sunday, July 25, it was 101 and I had a big family cookout. It was hot, like Africa Hot. Additionally, I like my humidity to be around 45% or so.

To address my concerns, the representative suggested the XL16i 3.0 Ton Heat Pump that has a 2 stage compressor. The XL16i 3.0 Ton Heat Pump would kick-in the second stage compressor on those days when it is very hot and when I have a lot of people visiting.

I like the idea that the XL16i 3.0 2-stage unit can run at a lower capacity and then kick-in the higher capacity when I need it.

The XL16i is a more expensive and I presume that it is a little more complicated. Simple solutions seem to have less things to break.

So I have a dilemma. Go with the XR15 or the XL16i? I have visited Trane's Website to learn more, but I did not find any additional information. Are there there other resources. What opinions do others have?

I hope I have made this clear enough.

Thanks,

Comments (9)

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

tippy

you have 2 1/2 ton system now?

I like Trane as I have dual fuel system in SC.

I would not have the XL16i.

I would install either the 2 1/2 ton XR15 or XL15i with best matching VS air handler.

On stats, my first choice would be HW VisionPro IAQ with outdoor sensor;2nd choice Trane's 803 or identical HW equivalent.

I would also go with Trane's two stg 7/12 KW heat strip.

IMO

• tippyp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, the existing system is 2.5 ton unit. The brand of the existing system is ArcoAir.

• tippyp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tigerdunes, What do you not like about the XL16i?

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

tippy

Trane touts this model as a premium two stg model and it comes with a premium price. It has relatively poor dehumidifing properties and the difference between 1st and 2nd stg is small. I would not have this model at all. And since it comes in only full ton sizes, you would most likely require ductwork modification since you would be going up in size. Has dealer mentioned this?

The XR15 and XL15i have excellent performance/eff numbers.

no, I will stick with my recommendations.

IMO

• tippyp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks TigerDunes.

The dealer seemed apprehensive with suggesting the XL16i unit. But I think he was trying to meet my requirement of handling the heavier load during hot summer days and family/friend parties. My understanding is that if it is 95 degrees outside, then the unit should be able to cool the inside of the house to 75 degrees. Is this correct?

The 2-stage compressor sounds like a very convenient/flexible feature, but (like you said) the actual implementation/performance appears to not measure up in a real world situation. Maybe Trane still has some work to be done to make this unit a real viable solution. I also realize that adding features can contribute to a more complex unit. A more complex unit can have more parts that can fail.

The dealer only mentioned the changing of ductwork between the return and air-handler (from 16in to 18in). But no change in the ductwork from the air handler to the floor vents.

Thanks again for all your help.
    Sincerely,

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

tippy

if interested here are the numbers on all three systems.

XR15 2 1/2 ton
    3516777 Active Systems XR15 WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWR5030E1 4TEE3F39A1 30000 13.00 15.75 30000 9.00 18000

XL15i 2 1/2 ton
    1382160 Active Systems XL15I WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWX5030A1 4TEE3F39A1 30000 13.00 15.75 30000 9.00 18000

XL16i three ton
    3854901 Active Systems XL16I WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWX6036E1 4TEE3F39A1 36000 12.50 17.25 34400 9.00 22200

how has existing system handled recent weeks of heat wave?

only an accurately performed load calculation will tell you whether a two and half ton system can handle AC cooling at 95-75 design temperatures.

IMO

• tippyp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Existing system has not handled the recent weeks heatwave very well. Last Sunday, it hit 101 degrees and the house inside could not get below 83 degrees.

Thanks for the numbers, but how do I read them and make out what they mean?

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

tippy

keep in mind that HP systems are usually sized to the average high temperature for cooling BTUs, not the abnormally highs that the East Coast and Southeast have experienced over the last several weeks. you and a great many homeowners have experienced the same degree of discomfort during this heat spell.

after the air handler model number, you have the cooling BTUs produced, EER efficiency,SEER, heating BTUs at 45 degrees, HSPF heating efficiency, and finally heating BTUs at 17 degrees.

IMO
    Good Luck!

• tippyp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Where can I find more information about "HW VisionPro IAQ"?
    I presume this description means: HoneyWell VisionPro IAQ?

Does this unit have a color touch-screen display?