Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jac29

Need advice re replacing HVAC unit in 1200 sq foot condo

Jac29
10 years ago

I need to replace the HVAC unit in an interior (between two other condo units) condo (approximately 1,150 - 1,200 sq feet)......it has a couple of windows in the front and back. Unit is on the first floor of a two level structure.

I have received 3 bids and I am totally confused as to what I should do......would appreciate your advice regarding brands, BTHU requirements for my size condo and install bids:

Bid #1:
Install price $6,195.00 ....warranty: 2yr labor....10 yr parts.....10 yr for compressor....20 yr. for heat exchanger.....5yr for coil

1 Lennox condensing unit, model # 13ACX-024, 13 SEER, 11EER, 23,400BTUH, 2 ton, refrigerant R410A

1 Lennox Coil, model# CX34-25 A

1 Lennox gas fired heating and cooling furnace,
model# ML180UH070P36A, 80% AFUE, 70,000 BTUH, single stage

1 digital thermostat (no charge)

Bid #2
Install price is $6,295
Warranty: 20yr for furnace heat exchanger...10 yr for all other components
10 yr on all components of condenser and coil
5yr on thermostat and all other components
Heating:
1 Lennox ML180UH045P24A (80% efficient) 45,000 BTU
input single stage furnace

Cooling 18,000 BTU 1.5 ton 13 SEER 410A refrigerant:
1 Lennox 13ACX - 018 condenser placed level on high impact base

Bid #3
Install price: $ 6,394.00
1 Bryant condensing unit model# 116BNA030000 (2.5 ton / 16 SEER with 10 yr. compressor warranty and 10 yr parts warranty as issued by the manufacturer

1 Carrier evaporator coil model # CNPVP03014A1A (2.5 ton with thermal expansion valve, 10 yr. coil warranty and 10 yr parts as issued by the manufacturer

1 Payne furnace model # PG8MAA036070 with 10yr parts warranty and 20 yr. heat exchanger warranty as issued by the manufacturer - 80% AFUE efficiency rating
1 yr parts and labor warranty provided by contactor

Your help is much appreciated.

Comments (14)

• Jac29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Northern NJ

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What size AC condenser and furnace are you replacing?

As to bids, here are my observations.

#1 cheap condenser 2 ton with oversized furnace

#2 cheap condenser 1 1/2 ton with more appropriate size furnace

#3 low end 2 1/2 ton condenser with oversized furnace.
    A Bryant condenser, a Carrier coil, and a Payne furnace. Oh boy!...

You can do better than this.

IMO

• Jac29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your response tigerdunes.

The contractor who gave me bid #3 is a very experienced HVAC/plumbing contractor who has a good local reputation.....he told me that he used the specs from the existing HVAC unit to come up with the size of the new equipment.
    I expressed my concern with contractor #3 about the fact that the HVAC units he is proposing are lower grade models.....his answer was that they are good reliable units that do not give him any problems. Since I told him originally that I did not know how long I would be keeping the condo I guess he wanted to give me something that would be more affordable.
    I asked him what he thought would be the next step up from the Payne furnace model and he said that although he felt there is nothing wrong with the Payne in the proposal he could upgrade me to a Bryant furnace for another $300-$500.....he will get back to me with more details as far as model# etc.

Tigerdunes, you mention that I can do better than than Bryant, Carrier and Payne......can you make any recommendations based on my situation?
    Thanks again.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

B4 I make a recommendation...

What size AC condenser and furnace are you replacing?

Trane
    XT80 furnace 40 K 80% 32 K output
    XB14,XR15,XL15i two ton AC condenser
    HW Mdl 8321 thermostat
    Best matching Trane coil

If configured with correct coil, this would qualify for Fed Tax Credit.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 11:25

• Jac29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am replacing furnace that is 75,000 BTU's and condenser that is 2.5 tons

The load calculation that has been done for the condo indicates that the heating should be between 43,618 - 49,850 BTU's......the ac should be 1.82.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I have little confidence in the heating load calculation. Too high.

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

"The load calculation that has been done for the condo indicates that the heating should be between 43,618 - 49,850 BTU's......the ac should be 1.82."

Why is there a 15% spread in the heating load calculation? What does this mean? I think both heating and cooling are high considering you only have two exterior walls, four windows, and a condo unit above you.

Get a copy of the calculation and see if it makes sense to you.

• Jac29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Tigerdunes and Mike for your responses......I will question the contractor who did the load calculation about why there is a 15% spread with the heating.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Don't misunderstand.

For me it is not the range. I think the 44 K low is way too high.

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

I pointed out the range because it raises my suspicion as to whether the contractor did a load calculation on this condo unit. He could be saying he is done calculation on other condos and this is the range he got. This is not acceptable.

I think the heating load is half of what he reported. The cooling load is probably about 1 ton.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Mike

You are probably correct about the heating load.

I was thinking about 1 1/2 ton full rated BTUs on cooling.

I noticed on the XT80 furnace with the XB14 2 ton, AHRI says only about 21.5 KBTUs which is a bit light for a 2 ton AC.

IMO

• HU-286802696
    3 years ago

We sell thru the wall heating/air conditioning condo units. Price can’t be beat. Give us a call, 215-785-2558. Ask for Joe

we do not install.

• Marc Well
    3 years ago

I CHOOSE THIS:

https://www.minisplitwarehouse.com/

Bid #2

Install price is $6,295

Warranty: 20yr for furnace heat exchanger...10 yr for all other components

10 yr on all components of condenser and coil

5yr on thermostat and all other components

Heating:

1 Lennox ML180UH045P24A (80% efficient) 45,000 BTU