Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
window unit question

Posted by scardanelli (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 14:26

We have an old house with window unit air conditioners. The house is a 1300 sf split level, with living room, dining room, and kitchen on the first floor, bedrooms and bathroom on the second floor, and master bedroom on the third. We have one large window unit on the first floor, one small window unit in one of the bedrooms on the second, and another small one in the master on the third. The bottom floor stays nice and cool but the second and third floors get progressively hotter as you go up, and the small window units can't keep up. My thinking is that i should move the largest unit to the master bedroom on the third floor, and bring the smaller one downstairs to the first. I figure that the cold air from the third will circulate down to the second and first floors, with the smaller units helping out. Does this sound like solid reasoning? Any help would be appreciated.

-Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: window unit question

Your proposal makes a certain amount of sense. The floor next to the attic or roof is likely to have the highest load per volume. You might end up moving the hot problem to the first floor. As long as you have the correct plug on the first floor, what do you have to loose? Worst case, you will buy a bigger AC unit for the first floor too.

Google on "air conditioner sizing" or see if this helps:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/heating-cooling-and-air/air-conditioners/sizing-worksheet/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here