Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darlenehelp

central air conditioning bids

darlenehelp
9 years ago

We live in a 1200 sq ft house in southern Ohio and our 35 year old central a/c died and we are going to replace it. We replaced our furnace around 12 years ago with a Tranw XR80 forced air gas with existing duct work that is in good shape. We are confused what kind to buy etc. We received a couple quotes and were told we could not use any of the higher end SEER units with our existing furnace. One quote was for a 2 ton Trane XR16 with a SEER of 16-totally installed with a new complete unit.....the cost being 3892.00. It has a 10 yr warranty on motor brg.unit,.10 yrs on parts,. compressor, condenser and coil with a one yr warranty on labor. I got two more quotes from Sears..one for a kenmore 2 ton unit with an SEER off 13 on model N4AXA6 with a SEER of 16 for 4890. I got a estimate on a Carrier 24ACB 2 ton SEER 13 for 5486.00 and Carrier 24ACC 2 ton for 5725.oo Getting so confused Need help on any suggestions or helpful comments. Need to do something right away. Thanks. Oh I got a really low bid on a Goodman for 2995.00 on a SEER 13 3 ton Model GSX130361D/CAUF3636B6D/78 38 30 with 10 yr parts, 10 year Compressor Warranty and 1 yr labor. The reason the Goodman quoted a 3 ton is because they quoted over the phone on our existing unit which was a 3 ton Whirlpool.. Anyway the warranty on the Sears and Carriers are the same I believe, forgot to put that in. Should I look at any other brands. We are on limited finances and will be doing payments same as cash. All are 18-24 months. Look forward to your input.

Comments (19)

• lisadlu
    9 years ago

I'd go with the Trane. Seems the best value and I've liked the Trane I had in the past.

• User
    9 years ago

darlenehelp,

You really will benefit by reading a few threads here when folks have posted similar posts to yours. There are literally dozens of factors that weigh upon your selection process.

Failure to do so will yield you suggestions to buy an individual's favorite brand.

This post was edited by saltidawg on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 20:48

• pfoley
    9 years ago

Are you getting both condenser and evaporator ? or only outside condenser ?

• pfoley
    9 years ago

You did say both condenser and coil. I missed that. Anyway, I'll go for a 2T Goodman system, may be the 2 Ton unit even cheaper. I have had a Goodman AC for 6 years, I have no problems at all. In fact, the installation is much more important than the unit itself. I just can not justify the high price of those other brands.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

By keeping your existing furnace XR80, you are limited to a 13 SEER condenser because of the conventional blower. It would be helpful to know the complete model number of your furnace. What size is your existing AC condenser? I would recommend staying with Trane or sister company AmStd. My choices would be Trane's XR13 condenser or AmStd Allegiance 13 with best matching Trane or AS evap coil. Of course these condensers will be the new refrigerant R410.

Since your furnace is only 80% efficiency, you might even consider a HP condenser to leverage electric against nat gas. I would need to know your rates to give you an idea of possible operating cost savings.

IMO

• darlenehelp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was wondering if anyone knows about the noise that the Trane I was talking about makes. They said 75 decimals. The only thing we do not like about our furnace is that it is loud. The guy said something about all the furnaces installed at that time were noisy. He gave the explanation but cannot remember how he explained it. I do not want a noisy unit. I am ready to go with the Trane central a/c but the only thing holding me back is the concern about the noise. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks for the replies posted so much previously.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

My gosh. Wake up. You are replacing a 35 yr old AC condenser. Any Trane or AS condenser will be much quieter than what you have.

I would stay away from Goodman and all big box stores that sell HVAC.

I have given you my best advice and am done here.

IMO

• darlenehelp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was talking about the noise that the unit would make outside since we are in a ranch and it sits right outside the bedrooms. And we got our quote from a company sent to us through HD a big box store, so should I start over and call someone else who sells Trane? What's the difference????? Thanks for previous advice ....trying to get educated, have done a lot of reading...just asking questions....The furnace blower inside the house is what is noisy and the 35 yr old a/c unit outside was not noisy when it was running outside. It was not very loud if you were near it outside. Confused about why you said no box store. Thanks again.

• User
    9 years ago

" trying to get educated, have done a lot of reading...just asking questions..."

From your posts, it would seem that you have not searched this forum.

As suggested above, "You really will benefit by reading a few threads here when folks have posted similar posts to yours. There are literally dozens of factors that weigh upon your selection process.

Failure to do so will yield you suggestions to buy an individual's favorite brand."

Until you do so and better frame your questions, I don't suspect the really knowledgeable and helpful folks here will be able to help.

Best of luck in your efforts.

• pfoley
    9 years ago

I am confused about your question of noise. are you talking about the noise from condenser (outside unit) or air handler (inside unit) ? or both ?

• udarrell
    9 years ago

Get the price on a 13-SEER 2-Ton Goodman with a matching 2-Ton coil; no need to pay extra unless the install would not be up to par.

You get the TXV metering device with a 14-SEER Goodman.

Goodman equipment will do the job providing the install is done properly; there is NO guarantee that the other brands will be installed any better than the Goodman.

Here is a link that might be useful: My HVAC Blog

• darlenehelp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have already read every post I could find on here regarding central air replacements, brands etc. So I have done my homework on this forum, unless some are listed somewhere else that I am unaware of. Let me know. Thank you.

• mike_home
    9 years ago

I also think you should get the best matching Trane condenser and coil. In my opinion it is worth the extra money spread over 24 months.

If the funds are really short then you can take a chance with the Goodman.

Sears has the highest costs with typically the worst installations. I would get a window AC before calling Sears. The cost is marked up if you buy through Home Depot and Lowes. These stores act as a middle man between you and the contractor.

The noise from the Trane condenser should be fine. There may be models that are quieter in the Trane line but they will cost more. Get additional quotes and decide if you want to spend the extra money.

You never responded about your electric and gas costs. It may make sense to spend a little more money and get a heat pump and save money on your heating costs.

• darlenehelp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have already read every post I could find on here regarding central air replacements, brands etc. So I have done my homework on this forum, unless some are listed somewhere else that I am unaware of. Let me know. Thank you.

• darlenehelp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am responding to my gas/electric bill. We replaced all our 15 yr old kitchen appliances and our washer and dryer a couple of years ago with Energy Star LG brands, except for the dishwasher and it is a Kitchen Aide, Our Gas/ elec went from 339.00 to 180.00 a month. If they would have told me this I would not have believed it. It is hard for be to believe, that is awesome for this part of the country, harsh winter and hot humid summers. Can't imagine the a/c improving it much more. I will be pleasantly surprised if we get the 25-30% more effiencey, I think that is what was quoted.

• darlenehelp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am responding to my gas/electric bill. We replaced all our 15 yr old kitchen appliances and our washer and dryer a couple of years ago with Energy Star LG brands, except for the dishwasher and it is a Kitchen Aide, Our Gas/ elec went from 339.00 to 180.00 a month. If they would have told me this I would not have believed it. It is hard for be to believe, that is awesome for this part of the country, harsh winter and hot humid summers. Can't imagine the a/c improving it much more. I will be pleasantly surprised if we get the 25-30% more effiencey, I think that is what was quoted.

• darlenehelp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sorry but gave wrong quote even billing went up to 220.00 because of a killer winter we had. Sorry. This had made difference in the increase. this will not affect elec cost for a/c running cost. though.

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

they were asking for your electric rate and you NG rate. We could then compare costs for a heat pump and see if you would save more money.

Because you have a Trane furnace, I would go with either a Trane or American Standard A/C (or heat pump depending on your rates and location).

• tstex
    9 years ago

Man, what kind of AC unit lasts for 35 yrs ??

I would have saved some money and threw a parade for a unit that lasted that long? That unit was certainly not made in china...