Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrier Quote & Price Check

Posted by taysdad (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 22, 11 at 14:02

I had another contractor come out today and perform a load calc (which I very much appreciate) and give a few quotes. I have an ac unit on the second floor that needs replacement. In the process of looking for its replacement, I found that cooling load for the house to be designed improperly. I must replace the second floor AC (coil and condenser). Anything beyond that is to improve the comfort (which is poor due to high humidity).

His analysis said that the current design of the two systems in the house are wrong. Today we have a 5-ton ac unit for the first floor/basement and a 2-ton unit for the second floor. His calculations say it should be 4 ton for the first/basement and 3 ton for the 2nd floor. I do think he did an accurate load calculation and it quantifies the "suspicions" and "guesses" of the other contractors who came and did not do a load calculation.

All and all, I like this contractor. He seems to know what he is doing. However, I suspect based upon other posts that I have seen, that he is really inflated on his pricing.

Here are the three quotes he gave to fix/replace the second floor unit. The current furnace is a 7.5 year old Carrier 58MCA single speed furnace.

Option # 1
Replace single speed blower in current furnace with VS speed blower (evergreen VS motor)
Carrier Performance 17 AC (24ACB736A003) 3 ton system
Carrier tin plated coil (CNPVP3617ATA)
Carrier 4" EZFLEX Media
Carrier Edge T-stat (STAT-TP-PRH)
new lineset and electric connections
10 year parts & 10 year labor
$6,597

Option # 2
Carrier Performance 17 AC (24ACB736A003) 3 ton system
Carrier tin plated coil (CNPVP3717ATA)
Carrier 95% 2 stage VS gas furnace (58UVB060-1-14) 60,00BTU
Carrier 4" EZFLEX media
Carrier Edge Thermidistat (STAT=TP-PRH)
new lineset and electric connections
10 year parts/10 years labor
$9,875

Option # 3
Carrier Infinity 21 3 ton AC (24ANB136A003)
Carrier tin coated coil (CNPV3617ATA)
Carrier Infinity 95% furnace 60,000BTU (58MVC060-1-14)
Carrier 4" EZFLEX media
Carrier Infinity controller (SYSTXCCUID01)
10 year parts / 10 year labor
$12,085

Option # 4
Carrier Infinity Inverter HP (25VNA036) 3 ton
Carrier Tin coated coil(CNPVP3717ATA)
Carrier Infinity Furnace 60,000BTU 95% modulating VS (58MVC060-1-14)
Carrier EXFLEX 4" Media
Carrier Infinity controller (SYSTXCCUID01)
10 year parts / 10 year labor
$15,033

He also offered similar packages for my 4 ton system for the 1st floor/basement. For the sake of space, I did not include these.

I live in Cincinnati in a newer built home that is fairly well insulated.

So, what does everyone think of these quotes? Would you consider modifying and existing single speed furnace to make it a VS? I have never heard of this before. It is an intriguing option, but I would like to know what some of the experts here think about it.

Michael

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrier Quote & Price Check

I have heard of the evergreen blower motor. Its meant to replace a direct drive furnace blower motor with the energy efficient variable speed style. It should work. He's giving you 10 year parts and labor warranty. Ask him how its worked in other installs.

o

Taysdad

I will make the following comments and opinions and then plan to leave this thread.

1. Proper sizing is important.

2. A thorough review of ductwork system and insulation qualities of upstairs is indicated.

3. I do not like the idea of a third party retrofit of a var speed blower. Big mistake.

4. For your area/climate and considering this is upstairs system, I think a 95% eff furnace paired with a heat pump is overkill. I would prefer the Infinity 80 70K size with correctly sized AC or HP. You would want the Infinity controller.

IMO

o

These prices are much higher than the prices I was quoted two years ago. If you like the Carrier equipment then get additional quotes from other Carrier dealers.

I am also leary of doing a retrofit of the blower. I would check with Carrier whether this is an approved modification.

The 24ACB7 condenser is a Comfort series model. You have it listed as a Performance unit. Ask the contractor about this.

It seems wasteful to replace a 7.5 year old furnace. Are you planning to live in this house a long time?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here