Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindywhitall

What is fan coil vs evaporator coil?

cindywhitall
11 years ago

I saw that last year Carrier had a nice rebate on their fan coils (FE4 and FE5). What is a fan coil? I know my quotes all list evaporator coils and I wondered if a fan coil is an add on, an option instead of a fan coil, or a separate unit used in different types of installs?

I am leaning toward an Infinity heat pump at this moment and I figure to wait till Sept 1 to see if these rebates come out again. I was trying to see what combos would qualify for what rebate using last year's rebate matrix.

My highest quote just gave me a new figure about 2k lower than in early June after i inquired telling them I had not decided yet and hoped the slow season would get me a better price. That is why I am rethinking Infinity. They were only able to save me 22% so it's a lower rebate (4k instead of 5) than the other company, but still a lower bid at this moment.

Any ideas on a reasonable price range for a 4ton , 100 btu, infinity heat pump should run in NJ? I believe it is 25HNB636B and Model 59TN6A0100E2120 or possibly the 59TP5A (if it's not true infinity as that model can take any control.) Exact model still to be determined.

Last paragraph below is what he sent me...My total cost, including 10000, 10 yr, 0% finance is about 12k. I'm thinking that sounds fairly good for an infinity hybrid heat pump, 10 yr pts/labor. Hoping to get another 400-650 rebate if they offer them, depending what furnace he's using...Wondered if the fan coil could/should be included with it's rebate of 600-1000. This is all IF carrier has the same program as last year. I don't have the detailed proposal yet, so he may already be allowing for potential rebates in his price. I will be asking!

Contractor stated "The proposed measures that we submitted and got approved by the state include the hybrid system, which includes the 96% furnace, the hybrid heat pump system, the .63 EF water heater, and all the insulation and air sealing. This measures resulted in a total energy savings of 22.873% (document attached). This is the only way to qualify for the program without using a tankless water heater. The Carrier hybrid system must include a an Infinity furnace and control to operate properly as a hybrid. This would be the best most efficient and reliable installation for your home, and I am able to get the out of pocket costs down to $1,967.00!"

Comments (2)

• mike_home
    11 years ago

A fan coil is another name for an air handler. It is basically includes the evaporator coil and the blower fan. You would get this if you did not have a furnace. In your case it doesn't apply. Carrier rebates for fan coils and furnaces are the same.

The 25HNB636B is a 3 ton model. Are you being quoted a 3 ton or 4 ton unit?

The 59TN6 furnace and 25HNB heat pump with the Infinity controller qualified for a $1100 rebate in the Spring. I assume the fall rebate will be the same. If you subsitute the 59TP5 furnace the rebate drops to $400.

I thought were going with the Amana system?

• cindywhitall
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wait, it is the 25HNB648, I picked up the 636 from a different quote that i think is a typo because that one spells out 4-ton before the model #.

I WAS giong Amana but for kicks and giggles I emailed the contractor who I had pretty much ruled out due to highest price. He has reduced his price $2000 from his original quote and is including the Infinity (per above quote). The price is about $1000 more than an Amana heat pump system.

I haven't gone back to the contractor who gave me the Amana quote yet to see if he will do a seasonal discount on his price, but for $1000 difference, as it stands, I'm leaning towards the Infinity....is that a good decision? (both well know good installers) The Amana dealer also quoted me Carrier, 59TN6 and 25HNB648, but for $3000 out of pocket. The unknown is which exact furnace the most recent quote includes..he refers to it as Infinity so wouldn't that be the 59TN?

oooh, I just looked at it again....I had missed the Infinity control extra $$$. Wow, I wonder if he was including that in his price...I hope he wasn't. He mentioned install in about 3 weeks....I hope he wasn't going to push me back until Sept and pocket the rebate. I will have to call for sure. With that rebate I would probably do it since the 2000 out of pocket would go down to 1000! That sounds reasonable to me, Infinty system, hot water, air seal and insulation for 11,000??? People pay 8000 for good (not better or best!) system around here and I KNOW infinity is better system.

Thanks Mike for pointing out that rebate...his email does say must include infinity furnace and control....so it must be that!