Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Real world' differences between Carrier Performance and Infinity

Posted by weathertop (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 13:13

Hi - I posted this question in the HVAC-talk.com forums, but I've received no responses (probably as it is a boring question that's been asked too many times). But, I'm really hoping that someone can definitively help me with the following:

I've read lots of threads about the differences between Carrier Infinity and Performance systems. But after reading all these threads, I haven't been able to really understand what I'll miss by going with a Performance system instead of an Infinity system.

The comments between the two systems seem to boil down to the fact that an Infinity system offers improved humidity control, "comfort" (?), and the controls are neat.

Can someone clearly tell me if I'll regret installing the following system in my home instead of an Infinity system? My installer tells me that this system (that will replace my failing second floor Tempstar zone) will control humidity and should more than surpass my needs:

CARRIER HIGH EFFICIENCY AIR-CONDITIONING SYSTEM *REPLACEMENT* *16 SEER*

CARRIER CONDENSER #24APA5024 APPROXIMATE B.T.U 24,000 2.0 TONS *410A REFRIGERANT*

CARRIER4 AIRHANDLER #FV4CNB003TOO APPROXIMATE B.T.U 24,000 2.0 TONS

CARRIER EZ-FLEX WHOLE HOUSE AIRCLEANER

CARRIER PROGRAMMABLE EDGE THERMOSTAT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Real world' differences between Carrier Performance and Infi

weathertop

assuming you are sized correctly and for such a small system, the average homeowner would not notice a thing and improvement in operating cost and comfort with an Infinity system would be marginal at best.

what is your location?

how do you heat?

you do want the Carrier Edge Thermidistat for best humidity control.

here are the AHRI AC Directory performance/eff numbers. This system would qualify for the Fed Govt tax credit.

3404601 Active Systems PERFORMANCE 15 PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24APA524A31 FV4CN(B,F)003 23600 13.00 16.00 1

IMO

o

Hi Tigerdunes:

Thank you for your feedback. I live in North New Jersey. We heat both floors of our house using steam radiators (from a separate boiler in the basement). We also have a separate AC zone for our larger first floor.

This system is for our second floor only.

I think that our installer has sized us correctly for our (smaller) upstairs zone as I received several estimates and virtually all the bids included the same system (or Comfort systems).

Your feedback helps as our installer shared that he thought that I was wasting money by even getting a Performance system, but I wanted to have some humidity control and a VS system.

One follow-up question: I think that this system on his proposal has a single stage with a scroll compressor. Would I notice any difference between this system and a Performance system with 2 stages?

o

Do they even make a 2-stage 2ton unit?

o

...I'm getting the sense that the sizing for my unit is really small, right?

And, any additional features that I explore are wasted money...correct?

o

weathertop

I think for your situation it's wasted money.

However, it's less about whether outside condenser is sgl stage or two stage than the diagnostics and the best residential control that you would get with a matching Infinity air handler and Infinity controller.

Hard to know the upcharge because of the crazy prizing in NJ but it should be no more than $750-$1000. would I do it based on your situation, an emphatic no.

IMO

o

Many thanks, tigerdunes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here