Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chorchie

Concerned about estimates from HVAC installers...

chorchie
9 years ago

Hi all,

I received 2 estimates for a dual zone system. We would be replacing a 5 ton single zone system for a 5 ton dual zone and relocating the furnace to the attic.

One company is proposing a single stage 5 ton Bryant system (Legacy 116BNA) with an 80% AFUE single stage fixed speed furnace (Legacy 80 model 310). My concern is that this is a single stage furnace and AC unit and from what I read, I will need a variable speed furnace, and also, I am not sure what to think about using the Legacy line of products. The estimate for this system is around $9500.

The other company is proposing a 5 ton HEIL single stage system (NXA660) with an 80% AFUE single stage variable speed furnace (G8MXL1102120). The estimate for this system is $10k. Or, they also offered a Heil dual stage AC unit (H4A660GKD) with the same furnace for $12500. I really don't know anything about the HEIL brand, though.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, we need to move forward with this ASAP as we have to be done before we move in.

Thank you in advance for your help.

This post was edited by chorchie on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 13:09

Comments (14)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Without revealing prices ... ASK each person to explain why their system would be better for what you need.

from what I read, I will need a variable speed furnace Ask them to explain why or why not you need/don't need variable speed.

It may be overkill for your needs, it may be really necessary.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Your location?

"I received 2 estimates for a dual zone system. We would be replacing a 5 ton single zone system for a 5 ton dual zone and relocating the furnace to the attic."

You intend to install zoning controls for one HVAC system?

Look at Preferred 17 paired with Evolution 80 furnace. Infinity controller.

IMO

• chorchie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, LazyGardens.

Tigerdunes, I am in southern California (San Fernando Valley). Yes, they are both proposing installing a Honeywell zone control system.

Do you like the Infinity controller over a Honeywell 9000 Wifi thermostat?

Thanks!

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

If you are getting an Evolution 80 furnace, then you want Evolution controller and preferably Evolution zoning controls.

If Trane or AmStd, then XV80 furnace with XR17 AC condenser with Honeywell zoning controls and HW WiFi stat.

Pleated filter media cabinet for either system.

IMO

• mike_home
    9 years ago

Why are you moving the furnace from the basement to the attic? The attic is the worst place for HVAC equipment in my opinion.

How large is your house? Did anyone do a load calculation to determine you need a 5 ton condenser? What is the size of the furnace?

I don't think a single stage furnace with a blower that has to put out 2000 CFM will ever work properly with a two zone system. I am suspect of any HVAC contractor that would propose this set up. Be aware that most HVAC contractors don't have the skills to install zone systems properly. I know you under a time constraint but find a contractor that will do a load calculation and know how to do zoning.

• chorchie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Mike,

The house is 2622 sq ft. I was told by both companies that the furnace needs to be moved to the attic for the two zone system.

No one has done a load calculation. I will talk with the company coming out tomorrow about that and see what they say.

Yes, I am concerned about the single stage furnace as well. I will see what this other company says tomorrow.

What are your thoughts on Carrier? That is the equipment the company I am meeting with tomorrow uses.

Thank you again!

• mike_home
    9 years ago

Carrier and the sister company Bryant are very good as long as you stay away from the low end builder's grade.

I know in some parts of California can get very hot, but I would still want to see a load calculation. It may make sense to leave the furnace in the basement and put an air handler in the attic connected to a second condenser to cool the second floor. It will cost more, but you will have two independent zones that will work well. It is something to consider.

This post was edited by mike_home on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 15:03

• chorchie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Mike - that makes sense. As tight as the budget is, I also don't want to spend money on a system that will still be substandard. I would prefer to pay a little more for a system that will really get the job done.

I spoke with another company who will be coming out tomorrow. He talked about using a Carrier Infinity system, which will allow him to install without a barometric bypass, which is illegal in CA.

Does that sound a bit more in line with what you would expect?

I will ask him about leaving the furnace on the main floor and adding an air handler/condenser in the attic vs. moving the furnace upstairs to the attic.

I will ask him about performing a load calculation, though, since I haven't yet had one. Is that something they would charge for, or would they do it for no charge if they are pricing out an install for me?

Any other questions I should ask up front?

Thank you so much for the help!

• mike_home
    9 years ago

The Infinity is variable speed and would be appropriate for zoning.

Some contractors will do a load calculation as part of their quote. Others will do it after you sign a contract.

You have the key questions. Make sure you get model numbers of all equipment.

• chorchie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike - that is so incredibly helpful...thank you very much. I will post back after I get info from this other company tomorrow. Have a great night!

• chorchie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Mike, I talked with that other company today. They sound extremely knowledgeable. They have no down payment up front - they only collect payment after the install and that I am happy with it.

He proposed installing a Carrier Infinity dual zone system with an 80% AFUE furnace because gas prices in LA are so low and he doesn't feel its worth the higher equipment price and more complex system for no real benefit. He would also be installing all new ducts upstairs after conducting a Manual J and Manual D. He would also install 2 of the Carrier Infinity controls.

He also said that if we hire them to do the twice annual maintenance ($149 per year), then they warranty the system for life.

He has been in business for 25 years and seems very honest and legit - he installs a lot of these systems.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Thank you again.

• mike_home
    9 years ago

This sounds like a better contractor. Where would the furnace be located?

Get a detailed list of all work to be done. I recommend a 4 inch media filter. The equipment comes with a 10 year parts and one year labor warranty. I am not sure is being locked into a yearly maintenance agreement. You will have to decide if it is worth it.

• chorchie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Mike,

I have the proposal - If I emailed it to you, would you mind giving me your thoughts?

Thanks!

• mike_home
    9 years ago

I am traveling and not available to review it until Thursday. Are you able to paste into a post for comments by other forum members?