Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigdaddybry

Oil burner/boiler replacement

bigdaddybry
11 years ago

First off, thanks in advance for any help!!

Our 35yr old burnham/wayne boiler/burner is all done. Needs replacement asap as we now are on our second day without any hot water. Had the first guy come in just a few minutes ago with a quote on an Intrepid slant fin tr-20 86.5% efficiency boiler.

The set up would pretty much be the same. He would basically cut out the old and hook up the new. keeping the same Amtrol tank to the right side of the boiler. he said he would clean up some of the copper, cut that out from the top near the ceiling. he said he would also add an air kit to pull outside air. He quoted 4700.00. He also mentioned a Budarus for a few hundred more(he wasn't quite sure yet) and can get it done Wednesday. Says it seems simple enough, but there is alot of work involved and would be here with 2 other guys for the whole day.

bit more info...1500 ft raised ranch, only 1 zone, no heat in the basement, so this is just for the upstairs and to be quite honest, I never use it for heat!! I have a wood insert that I use all winter, so I don't need the best of the best, top of the line system. it kills me to have to drop this kind of $$ for it, but we have to have a backup heat source, right? He said I could rig up a temp electric water heater to buy time, but that's gonna cost about a grand. No gas available in my neighborhood.

Thanks once again!

Bryan

Comments (14)

• bigdaddybry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Quick follow up. Turns out gas is available. That would run 800.00 to bring it to the house. National grid has boiler options available with equipment rebate gift cards and some high effiency ee tax credits. https://www1.nationalgridus.com/files/AddedPDF/223284_RI.pdf

• mike_home
    11 years ago

If you can connect your house to natural gas for $800 then this is an easy decision. You will cut your water heating bill in at least half.

You get a stand alone hot water heater, or get a boiler with an indirect hot water set up. It makes no sense to continue to use oil if natural gas is available.

• bigdaddybry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One issue is time. Not sure how long it would take to get the gas from the st to the house. It really sucks right now to be without hot water.

• bigdaddybry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just found out it's 8 to 10 weeks at a minimum to get the line to the house! So i guess gas is out of the question.

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Sears sells a 40 gallon electric hot water heater for $259. The plumbing part should not be difficult. You will need to run a 240V connection for power. If you have room in your electrical panel and the capacity it should be too expensive. It is worth getting more quotes before you make your decision. You will eventually recoup this money when you make the switch to gas.

• bigdaddybry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last time an electrician was at the house he said it was time to upgrade the panel to a 200 amp...sigh. I think the panel's full.

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Here is one more idea. Gas appliances can be converted either propane or natural gas use. You could investigate getting a propane tank set up and hook that up to the new boiler while you wait for the gas line to be brought into your house. If you plan it well, you may be able to reuse most of the gas piping.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

"Last time an electrician was at the house he said it was time to upgrade the panel to a 200 amp...sigh. I think the panel's full."

In case mike_home's idea will not work, are there any circuits you can live without for a few weeks?

• bigdaddybry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Couldn't i run the temp. electric water heater off the unhooked circuit the oil burner is currently using?

• mike_home
    11 years ago

An electric hot water heater requires 240V service. I think your oil burner uses 120V. It still may be helpful to free up space in your electric supply panel.

• neohioheatpump
    11 years ago

Do you have central air? If you had ducts to all the rooms for central air you could replace central a/c with a heatpump.

• bigdaddybry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do have central air. Someone i spoke with yesterday had mentioned a heat pump as an option. I feel overwhelmed at the moment. I did go with the temp elec water heater option for now as I don't want to rush into anything. The electrician said I'm pushing it with the panel that it should be upgraded. He's coming up a real temp fix for now. quoted 1600 to upgrade which sounds real high to me.

• neohioheatpump
    11 years ago

Wow, well how old is your A/C? A heatpump isn't much more than a regular A/C in cost. They make heat for much cheaper than oil.
    What is your climate like? Are you in extreme cold weather zone like minnesota? Is your house leaky/drafty? Do you know how much your electricity costs?

Heatpumps work really well above 30 degrees. They still can keep your house warm at lower temperatures too but it isn't as comfy.

They don't work as well if your house is drafty (old 50's windows and no attic insulation). If your A/C is old you should replace with a heatpump because it doesn't cost much over the regular a/c.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

If he installs a heat pump for space heat, he still needs to heat water. He really only needs the boiler to heat water and for back-up heat. He does not need anything very efficient to do the latter since he mostly heats with wood. To bad it will probably be difficult to find a used boiler of the right size to install.

It looks like an electric water heater may give some months of breathing space to consider the options and maybe get gas to the house.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists