Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing Thermostat - no labeled panel on furnace?

Posted by lifesupport4u (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 12:57

I replaced my home thermostat with a wifi system. It works great.

A friend asked me to do the same. He has an old analog thermostat (no digital display) and a 4 wire system.

However, at his furnace the wires are all spliced and appear to run to various places. I could not find one labeled panel like mine had.

My understanding with a 4 wire system is you have to jumper the fan wire. I am not sure how to do this without a panel.

Any advice or help would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing Thermostat - no labeled panel on furnace?

Is his system a combination heat/AC unit? The typical four wires on a 24v controlled combination system are:
Red (power)
White (heat control)
Yellow (cool control)
Green (fan control)
The thermostats I've used in my last three houses have not required any type of separate jumper, although some thermostats may have had that function built in.

Bruce

o

Does this thermostat need a C connection? Here a YouTube video explaining how to use the G wire as the C wire. The C (common) wire is the ground connection. You will have to find this connection at the furnace.

Here is a link that might be useful: Substitute G-Wire for C-Wire -- DIY Installation

o

I do need to substitute the G wire for the C wire like the video above.

The problem is "finding the connection at the furnace" as you put it.

Most furnaces seem to have a panel where all the wires connect to the labeled terminals. This furnace does not have labeled terminals and the wires seem to be connected directly to different parts on the furnace.

o

This is a very basic wiring diagram. Hope this helps

o

How do i wire a nest or honeywell wifi thermostat to to that ?

The old thermostat was analog (no digital display).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here