Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Air conditioner shade or misting?

Posted by lakeyjim (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 12:53

I live in West Michigan, a mile from the big lake. A lake breeze allows use of the AC sparingly, except when hot and humid like now and next couple weeks.

I'd like to do something to lesson the work (and cost) of running the whole house AC which is on the west side of the house. It is in direct sunlight from about noon on. I put an arbor over last year but bushes aren't growing as fast as I'd like. Even if grown over the top would not provide shade as the sun gets lower in the sky traversing further west.

I'm thinking of a temporary "roof" over the arbor to provide a little more shade till about 3PM. (I can't cover the whole side as that would inhibit air flow)
I also have a "mister" which I used last year and now hooking to a 24V solenoid so it only runs when the AC is on.

Which of the two; 1. Roof for shade 2. Spray mist, will help the most with my AC electric usage? Any idea how much (%) more efficient either solution would work best ?

l

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Air conditioner shade or misting?

Both are bad ideas. Electrical consumption on running your compressor has nothing to do with outside temperatures resulting from sun heating the compressor. The unit runs based on the inside set temperature for cooling. These units are made to be placed directly on roof tops-- in full sunlight and heat.

Working to cool the house (not the compressor) will reduce run time and save energy. Try to shade the house with trees, keep window curtains drawn to keep thermal heat gain down, etc.

Shading the external unit or sprayign with water will do nothing.

o

"Electrical consumption on running your compressor has nothing to do with outside temperatures resulting from sun heating the compressor."
Is this so?

This post was edited by saltidawg on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 15:39

o

•Posted by saltidawg Z6 MD
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 15:34

"Electrical consumption on running your compressor has nothing to do with outside temperatures resulting from sun heating the compressor."
Is this so?

No
Rather than discussing theory of why,here is a simple way to see the difference. In a community where there are multiple dwellings with same floor space and hvac equipment,clamp the amp meter on units exposed to full sun as well as some shaded by trees or buildings.
As for misting,it can be somwhat tricky to maintain suitable system pressures. The condenser can be cooled to the point where low side/high side pressure differential drops and minimizes expansion in the evaporator.When that happens,indoor cooling is dramaticly reduced and liquid is fed back to the compressor resulting in possiable damage.

o

•Posted by saltidawg Z6 MD
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 15:34

Is this so?

"No
Rather than discussing theory of why,here is a simple way to see the difference. ..."

Not a very satisfactory answer, but thanks anyway.

How about the claims at www.themister.com

o

•Posted by saltidawg (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 13:28

Is this so?

"No
Rather than discussing theory of why,here is a simple way to see the difference. ..."

Not a very satisfactory answer, but thanks anyway.

How about the claims at www.themister.com
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" ""
I try and respect and incourage opinions of others since I am a student of all things in life. Had I realized your origional question about enegery consumption relating to compressor being heated by sun was strictly retorical,I would not have responded. You have now put me in an akward position with your drive by posting.
Will you please expand on why you find my ansewer "not very satisfactory"? It was and still is the best I can do. I first expressed my opinion that solar heat does indeed effect energy consumption. I then presented a simple and practical means by which others might form thier own opinion if they are students like myself.
Unless your question about THEMISTER,is more retorical than search for knowledge,please see the thread posted today for answers you might find more satisfactory than mine which is,I think THEMISTER is just a way to part a fool from his money.
Respectfully,Klem

o

Oh golly. lol

I don't live in an apartment complex nor do I have access to a strip of townhouses. Besides, I think you're just funnin' me, so I'd hope for an answer from someone that can articulate the answer.

If you consider, "Rather than discussing theory of why,here is a simple way to see the difference. ..." an adequate answer, you certainly were not a student of mine.

Why would a heat pump do more work in transferring heat for a building to an outside heat sink at a higher ambient temperature? (There may be a hint there. ;-) )

This post was edited by saltidawg on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 19:58

o

If you have perfect mineral free water, themister in theory would help. I have seen many customers where their sprinkler systems weren't placed properly and sprayed on the condenser and there was so much calcium buildup that it was working less efficient after.
Shade might make an amp difference, but as long as the coils are cleaned and maintained I wouldn't sweat it. BTW, I see a lot of these new split coils on the hi eff. systems and nobody takes the time to split them. Bryants were notorious for dying from lack of attention to cleaning the inside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here