Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heartspeace

TheMister - Hype or SaveMoney or Hurt A/C?

heartspeace
10 years ago

There are many commercials on TV showing TheMister which is a device that shoots water from your A/C via a strong mist when the A/C turns on (there is vibration/magnetic field)- the temperature is above 80 degrees F - and obviously the water is on.

The site says as well as the commercials that there is a tax credit and that it can cut your A/C bills by 30%. It also says that there is a tax credit.

My concern is any damage to the A/C over time. The rain is one thing - mist sprayed into the A/C unit is another. I am sure the company will say that is nothing to be concerned with - but I would like to hear the advice of any A/C professionals.

HP

nstant water can do damage when sprayed in the mist onto the A/C - its different from rain and it is sprayed more into the blades it seems -

Comments (7)

• zl700
    10 years ago

It will plug up the coils because as its bringing in air, the water moistening makes any particulate such as dust and pollen to stick in the coil, this is worse if water quality is questionable or hard.

In addition, the constant excessive moisture rots out the units prematurely. I have seen units done this way that are 3-5 years old look 15 and are requiring replacement.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

I don't see how this device would qualify for the 30% federal tax credit. The company is effectively saying installing their water misting device your AC condenser becomes a geothermal heat pump. Therefore the cost of the device qualifies for a 30% tax credit.

I highly doubt the IRS would allow this.

• Tinmantu
    10 years ago

P.T. Barnum comes to mind for some reason.

• HVAC1962
    10 years ago

I've been a HVAC contractor for 26 years and there is nothing new about evaporative pre-cooling. Many of the systems years ago were not successful because the water was not treated in any way. I saw more than my fair share of AC units that had been ruined due to hard water. With the proper water treatment, however, this technology can significantly improve an AC system's efficiency and even prolong a unit's life. Without proper treatment of the water, there is more harm done than good.
    It seems the company includes a filter that uses 100% polyphosphate which should do the trick for anyone with municipal water. Polyphos will keep scale from forming or rust from corroding. However, I would not recommend you use the mister if you have water from a well. Well water could have other potentially damaging minerals that can't be filtered out. The main thing that is different about this system from previous ones i've seen is that it basically has a built in computer controlling when it runs. This should eliminate the concern over wasted water.
    The tax credit is a function of increased efficiency boost only. There are many products such as this that qualify technically... though a loophole of sorts. All a homeowner must do to cover themselves is include the certificate where the company states the product qualifies. I seriously doubt they'd be stupid enough to claim it qualifies if they can't back it up.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

" All a homeowner must do to cover themselves is include the certificate where the company states the product qualifies. I seriously doubt they'd be stupid enough to claim it qualifies if they can't back it up."

In my opinion the certificate is worthless if you get audited by the IRS. This device does not turn your AC into a geothermal heat pump.

I am curious if you are going to install this on your AC condenser. If you do can you post how much money you are saving on your cooling costs?

• cap217
    9 years ago

I talked to the company about the tax credit and they said they provide paperwork and it is confirmed by their lawyers and accountants. I also asked about the extra water and what it would do to my unit (because its only 6 months old) and they said that the reason their product is "better" and works is because it is optimized with run times. Just because your ac unit is on, doesn't meant The Mister will be on and running. It runs in cycles based on temp and other factors so that the water doesn't build un outside or inside your system. I am considering ordering one of these. It looks interesting enough.

• klem1
    9 years ago

I agree the concept is interesting and has possibilities but I don't see how full benifit could be realized by retrofitting an existing system. I have not seen any research but have first hand observed the effect of water sprayed onto condenser coils when cleaned or cooling a hot compressor to reset. Pressures are upset,amp draw deminishes and tempature drop across evap coil increases momentarily. If water spray is maintained,amps and pressures remain low but air tempature drop across coil deterioates. I haven't installed nor repaired window units since I figured out they are heavy and make a mess on carpet in the process but they sprayed coils back in the day. It seemed to work ok other than causing coil to collect lint and dirt quickly. I expect manufactures to soon begain desighning units so condensate aids in coil cooling now that technogly is alowing compressor output controll. Combining controlled compressor out put,temp/press expansion valve,solar energy and distilled water from condensate mayrevolutionize pursuit of energy effeciency. Of course all this is coming from the guy who said air source heat pumps would never stand the test of time. (:

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm